Monday, April 30, 2007

Don't Scream by Wendy Corsi Staub

It seemed to me that it took absolutely forever for me to get through this book. It had nothing to do with the book itself, but because I started it right before I got sick and then last week I was still worn out from it, so I got little reading done. I read quite a bit on Saturday, but then was gone all day yesterday, soooooo it took longer than I would normally have liked. Plus, the book was 476 pages long, so that added a bit of time. I am not complaining though, because I love Ms. Staub's suspense novels and I hate having to wait 1 year for them to come out. Anyways, a solid A for this book.

In a remote, heavily wooded area near the Berkshires of Massachusetts, Rachel Lorant died on her birthday. But she didn't die alone. That night, her four sorority sisters make a solemn, trembling pledge. They will never reveal what has just happened in those woods- ever. Instead, they will take their terrible secrets to their graves...

Now, ten years later, their secret is coming back to haunt them as each receives a card in the mail from Rachel: Happy Birthday to Me. xoxo R. It's clear that someone knows what happened that night. Someone is stalking them and sending mysterious, chilling gifts that only they can understand- deadly warnings of what is to come. For the sins of the past have come back with a vegeance, and a killer will see that they all pay in blood.

Brynn Costello has never felt such pure fear. She didn't want any part of what happened so long ago, but now, the mother of two will do anything to stay alive and protect her family- even if it means matching wits with a killer she can't see... a twisted psychopath who is closer than she thinks and who is saving her death for last...

I loved this book. I had absolutely no idea who the killer is until there was about 100 pages left, and then I was wrong. I was right about one other big part of the book, and somewhat right about another part of the book. Ms. Staub does suspense great and her characters are written so believeable. I mean I absolutely hated some of the characters and loved others. I just cannot recommend her books enough. I am planning on donating this (along with many others) to my local library for their used book sales or whatever they want to do with it. I just want to spread the love of Ms. Staubs writting. She also writes under the name of Wendy Markham and I adore those books as well. This book is loosely connected to the anthology that Ms. Staub wrote in that I reviewed not too long ago titled Most Likely to Die. There is no need to read that one first or even read it at all, but I just thought I would through that out there! Anyways, enough rambling, just run and get one of her books!

I am not sure what is up next. Something from the TBR. I don't have any library books right now, so I will see what catches my eye. I did just recently get some books last week with a $40 gift card to Barnes and Noble that my mom had. A client gave it to her, and while a reader, she just borrows books from me. So she gave it to me!!! How nice huh? Plus, my birthday is on Sunday, so I am sure I will be getting some gift cards/money that will be used towards books. And later this week is the huge library used book sale where I get wonderful books (for both my reading and my future classroom) for outstanding prices, so even more will be coming in. Such fun!

Anyways, happy reading and GOOOOO Wings!!! (Why oh why are we in the Western Conference? We are in a Easten Time Zone, and I have to wait until 10:00 for the game. I can't stay up for that the entire time! I have to work tomorrow! Ughh!!!

No comments: