Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Rant and Murder of a Botoxed Blonde by Denise Swanson

First of all, I would like to say that all of my thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the tragedy at Virigina Tech, whether you know someone or just feel horrible that something so disgusting can happen. It is unbelievable that some people can be so messed up. I know this may sound crude, but he should have just shot himself and saved the huge impact it will have on many, many lives for years to come. And one other thing... I saw a bit of the View today, and Rosie O'Donnell needs to shut her trap! Blaming the government for this tragedy... if someone, anyone, wants to get a gun, they will whether they are illegal or not. What about people that cause destruction with bombs (i.e. Timothy McVeigh, the Unabomber, wackos who blow up abortion clincs)? Last time I checked, bombs are not legal and sold at stores but they caused destruction. And if Rosie is so anti-gun (and just real quick, I do not own a gun, like guns, or want a gun but believe in our Ammendment right), why does she feel it's all right for her bodyguards to carry a gun? I will not watch that show anymore! I can't STAND her, but because of another ammendent right, she has the right to freedom of speech and can say her stupid idiotic comments! I just will choose not to listen. Whew....... sorry,but I just got really revved up!

Now, off my soapbox and on to books. I began reading Ms. Swanson's Scumble River series on accident a couple of years ago. I got the name of an author mixed up and got one of her books. While I realized it, I still read it and got the following books in the series. It is a fun, cozy mystery series to read and I enjoy it. This book was a fun and easy read, but just average, so I give it a C.

A health spa complete with tofu turkey and "Dress for Sexcess" lectures is the last place school psychologist Skye Denison wants to spend Thanksgiving. But when her best friend, Trixie Frayne, convinces her to take a complimentary weekend at the new Scumble River Spa, Skye accepts her fate and prepares to be slathered, wrapped, and roasted.

Then an annoying quartet that includes both Skye's mom and her ex-boyfriend'd mother impulsively joins her a girls-only holiday, and Skye wonders just how bad things can get. She soon finds out- when she's confronted with treatments only a masochist would enjoy, a diet plan fit for a Barbie doll, and a troublesome trespasser searching for a cache of jewels supposedly hidden on the spa ground seventy years ago. Worst of all, a famous former model turns up dead in the Miracle Mud bath. It looks like no one will be leaving the spa until Skye can identify which of the eccentric guests, pesky local protesters, or sneaky treasure hunters is also a killer deserving of special treatment- in the county jail.

Like I said, this was an average book. An easy read, and quite short, coming in at only 239 pages. I enjoy Scumble River and the towns people and the Doozier clan who are always in the story in a fun, exciting way. However, I do enjoy when Skye interacts with her students and there wasn't any of that in the story. I also was getting a little tired of the love triangle that seems to be constantly changing, and would just like Skye to pick one person and stick with them. However, it was a nice break from the heavier Picoult books I have been reading, though I am glad I got this book from the library.

Up next is a book I have had on hold for a looooong time through my county's library system. It is Red by Erica Spindler, whose all other novels I have really enjoyed. I have never been able to find it at the bookstore, regular or UBS. This book is in such bad shape I am almost afraid to read it! I think the pages may fall out.

Watching the Wing's game though it just started at 10:20 and I have to be at school tomorrow for my subbing job. I am going to be a librarian tomorrow! I think that sounds like fun! Have a great night everyone and happy reading.

No comments: