Thursday, April 5, 2007

Size 14 is Not Fat Either

I got Size 14 is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot at the library. I love Ms. Cabot's style of writing and had read her previous book in the Heather Wells' series and enjoyed it, so I was excited to pick this one up as well. I enjoyed it very much and gave it a B+.

Former pop star Heather Wells has settled nicely into her new life as assistant dorm director at New York College- a career that does not require her to drape her size 12 body in embarrassingly skimpy outfits. She can even cope (sort of) with her rocker ex-boyfriend's upcoming nuptials, which the press dubbed The Celebrity Wedding of the Decade. But she's definitely having a hard time dealing with the situation in the dormitory kitchen- where a cheerleader has lost her head on the first day of the semester. (Actually her head is accounted for- it's her torso that's AWOL.)

Surrounded by hysterical students- with her ex-con father on her doorstep and her ex-love bombarding her with unwanted phone calls- Heather welcomes the opportunity to play detective... again. If it gets off her mind her personal problems- and teams her up with the gorgeous P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives- it's all good. But the murder trail is leading the average-sized amateur investigator into a shadowy world. And if she doesn't watch her step, Heather will soon be singing her swan song!

I had a lot of fun with this book. It was a very quick read, with me starting it at 8:00 last night and reading for about 2 hours and then finishing it today in about a 1/2 an hour. Heather is a funny character and I love being thrown into her world. I like the her friends and no one gets on my nerves, a rarity. I am interested in her and Cooper's relationship and seeing if it is going to go somewhere. I believe that there is a third one coming out in the series and I will be getting it from the library. I am planning on checking out Meg's backlist, including her y.a. books, because she is such a fun writer and the personalities of her characters really jump off of the pages.

I broke down and bought some books today. I figured I lasted this long from the no buying book, so I went to the thrift store and to Borders. I got 9 books and only spent $21.00! And really, I only spend $1.00 since I had a gift card to Borders. I got The Dead Room by Robert Ellis (a new to me author), Ashes to Ashes by Tami Hoag, A Lying Silence by Laura Coburn (another new to me author), The Morning After by Lisa Jackson and Headhunter by Michael Slade (another new to me author) from the thrift store all for $1.00. Then at Borders, between the buy 3 get 1 free and a coupon, I got The Dying Game by Beverly Barton (continues the character from Most Likely to Die, the anthonology with Wendy Corsi Staub and Lisa Jackson), Fear no Evil and See No Evil by Allison Brennan and Target by Stella Cameron. Not too bad of a haul. It is SNOWING here and I have the next week off from subbing, so I needed some reinforcements (nevermind the TBR piles...) to keep me busy.

Up next is Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Acts. I am looking forward to it, especially after reading Nineteen Minutes. I have to get ready for school shortly and then there is a Wings' game on tonight, so we will see how much I get read tonight. Happy reading!

No comments: