Saturday, April 7, 2007

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

After reading Nineteen Minutes, I had to check out more of Ms. Picoult's novels. I went to one of my local libraries and this was the only one they had. I grabbed it up and am glad I did. Another great book and so much fun to read. A solid A-.

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her beloved, widowed father, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiance, and her own search and rescue bloodhound, which she uses to find missing persons. But as Delia plans her own wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks she can't recall... until a policeman knocks on her door revealing a secret about herself that changes the world as she knows it- and threatens to jeopardize her future. With Vanishing Acts, Jodi Picoult explores how life- as we know it- might not turn out the way we imagined;how the people we've loved and trusted can suddenly change before our very eyes; how the memory we thought had vanished could return as a threat. Once again, Picoult handles an astonishing and timely topic with understanding, insight, and compassion.

I really enjoyed this book. The topic was wonderful and done in a way that really showed me that there are always two sides to every story. The story had me laughing and crying and very scared for thinking that there may be an ending in a way that I did not want to see happen. I love the way that the chapters are set up and really allow you to get into the heads of all of the characters. I know some people do not like first person narrators, but I really do.

The one reason why I didn't give it an A is because of the ending. I am not sure where everyone will be in five minutes or days, let alone five months from now. I guess I am just the type of person that needs some resolution and ending.

I thought that there was a great love triangle and you really get to the heart of all of the characters. Even though the story is over 400 pages, I flew through it and part of me didn't want it to end. I hope all of her books are like this!

I have The Tenth Circle also waiting for me which I will probably start tonight.

Have a great Easter and a good weekend!

No comments: