Saturday, April 21, 2007

Red by Erica Spindler

I love all of Erica Spindler's books, as they have both suspense and romance in them. After reading the first one, I immediately checked out her website for her backlist and got all of them that I could. The only one I couldn't find was Red, so I put it on hold at my library and after about 6 months it finally came in. It was well worth the wait and I give it a solid B+.

Becky Lynn Lee was a nobody. Everybody told her so- the ladies who snubbed her at Opal's Cut n Curl, the boys who hurt her and used her, the family who didn't want her. But Becky Lynn had dreams. And when it came time to dream for real- or die a slow death in Bend, Mississippi- Becky fled to a world where dreams do come true.

Jack Gallagher wanted to be a somebody- he wanted to be the top fashion photographer in the world. He wanted to be bigger than the father who denied him, better than the half brother who claimed all of their father's love. And he was getting there... fast. He was hot, he was sexy, and he was damn good.

Now in a world where beauty and illusion are intertwined, Becky Lynn and Jack command the spotlight. She's a model who's reached the top; he's a high-priced photographer in constant demand. But is the cost of fame too high? Because beneath the glittering facade lurk secrets that threaten to destroy all they've achieved...

While this book had no suspense and a little romance, I really enjoyed it. I loved rooting for Becky Lynn and enjoyed seeing her take steps to achieve a dream she always wanted through hard work. The story is told throughout the years, I believe over 12 or so years. I love this as you get to see how the characters grow and change over time. It really is a heartwarming story and, I think, a good look on the inside of the fashion world. Though the book was written in the early 90's, it still holds up well. While I tend to like suspense stories more so than romance, this book did not leave me wanting a serial killer. I loved the light, tenderness of Becky Lynn and her trials that she endures. It has a happy ending, though there were quite a few twists and turns. I would highly recommend it!

Up next is Laura Lippman's What the Dead Know. There is also a Red Wings game on this afternoon and they MUST win today! After being up 2-0 in the series and letting the Flames come back and tie it, they have to win at home before going back to Calgary. So far the series has been the winner to be the home team, and that is fine with me if it continues that way since the Wings have home ice advantage. I will be proudly displaying my red as I join the Red Wave to cheer on my Wings! GOOOOOO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: