Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Interview Room by Roderick Anscombe

I got The Interview Room from Borders shortly before my book buying fasting. When I finished up my last book, I went into the TBR room and this book had fallen off of its shelf. I picked it up and decided to read it. It was a good read, with me giving it a 3 out of 5 stars. Actually, I think I am going to change my grading to a letter system, so I would give this a B.

In a drab room in a hospital for the criminally insane, Dr. Paul Lucas can tell whether a patient is lying or lost, salvageable, evil, or insane. Paul interviews criminals and killers all the time. But he has never had an interview like this one...

Craig Cavanaugh is accused of stalking a female Harvard instructor. With his good looks, intelligence, and money, Craig has no doubt that he can outsmart his doctor, that love will accuse his actions, and money will set him free. And Paul is about to discover how right- and how dangerous- Craig really is.

Suddenly, Paul's personal life is imploding. His beautiful wife is tied to a sordid murder. And his grip on his profession and even his sanity is slipping... What began with a typical, carefully controlled session in the interview room has turned into this: Paul faces a master manipulator- with no rules, no walls, and only one way out...

This book was great in the psychological aspect and the mystery was played out pretty well. Though there was not a whole lot of whodunit in the story, the suspense was high. Mr. Ansombe is a new to me author, and I think he will go far. The stalker aspect was done differently, and through Paul's psychological profiles and questioning of Craig really allow the reader to get inside Craig's head and learn more about sociopaths.

The things I had problems with in this story was some of the writing. Mr. Ansombe goes into a lot of detail, and sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming. I also did not like Paul's wife Abby. I was not sympathetic to her at all, and she really got on my nerves. Her character is probably one of the main reasons why I marked this book down some.

This seems to be part of a series, and from what I can see, the first in it. I do plan on reading the next one to see more about Paul and his relationship with his wife and am interested in seeing what he gets involved with next. The next one will be released in hardcover, however, and when Lent is over and I am allowed to buy more books, I will not be getting any in hardcover. I will look for it at the library, and if they don't have it, I will just wait for the paperback. I am not that anxious to see what happens.

Well that's it for me. I did find out where I will be placed for my student teaching in the fall so that was nice. The Wings won tonight, and as of right now we are in the lead for the Western conference. Only 2 more games and then its time for the playoffs! GO WINGS!

I am off to bed. Up next is Size 14 is not Fat Either by Meg Cabot, whose reading I love! Have a great day tomorrow and happy reading!

No comments: