Sunday, August 10, 2008

Tiny Ladies in Shiny Pants by Jill Soloway

I picked up Tiny Ladies from Borders awhile ago. It was a bargain book and was then reduced an additional 50%, so I thought it would be a fun, quick read. This is a memoir and I always enjoy reading a good memoir in between my suspense books. This one, however, fell flat. The highest I think I can rate this book is a C.

From Amazon:
This hilarious, whip-smart collection of essays from a top writer and producer of Six Feet Under crisscrosses from the highly personal (conflating her own loss of virginity and the Kobe Bryant accusations), to the political (what she has in common with Monica and Chandra), to the outrageously Los Angelean (why women wear huge diamonds and what they must do to get them). Tiny Ladies in Shiny Pants is a genre-defying combination of personal essay and memoir, or a hilarious, unruly and unapologetic evaluation of society, religion, sex, love, and -- best of all -- Jill Soloway.

I just couldn't really get into the book. I thought that Ms. Soloway seemed to really hate men and even came out and said that they don't serve a purpose. I just can't get behind that type of thinking and to tell you the truth, it really gets me mad. Her views are very, very liberal and I tend to not lean that far left. I bought the book thinking that it was more about her own life and not so much man bashing and political. There were a few times when I was laughing out loudand Ms. Soloway does have a very good voice. I doubt I will be looking for anymore books by her.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I will probably just pick something off of my shelves very quickly. Maybe a John Lutz book... I think I am in the mood for a good thriller and something that will suck me right in. I hope everyone had a great weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: