Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

I absolutely love Ms. Lancaster's snarky attitude and her outlook on life. She says and does a lot of things that I only think about it, and she always makes me laugh. I was stalking my library waiting for this book to be released and it was worth the wait. While I didn't enjoy this book as much as her others, it was still a fun read. I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
"To whom the fat rolls…I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It’s a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good if finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"

This book tracks Jen as she decides to take on her weight issues and get healthy. She discusses her various ways of attempting to lose weight and become healthy, the reader does get a good idea on what the main thing to do is... eat less and move more (also said by one of my favorite radio hosts). As I don't have weight problems some of it I couldn't relate to but it does allow me to see some of the struggles people go through with dieting. There is also some of daily life sprinkled in and the things that happen to her. It is really inspiring to see how well she has done and the struggles that she has overcome, so I would recommend this to anyone who would like to lose weight or just find motivation to do anything.

Up next is a library book. I went today and picked up two and also went the thrift store and bought books. I believe I got 8 books for $5.00, with three of them hardcovers. I successful trip, I believe. Happy Reading everyone!

No comments: