Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Night Caller by John Lutz

I love John Lutz's novels as they are always good for a few chills and page turning. The Night Caller was not an exception, and was a very good, fast read. I give The Night Caller a B+.

From Amazon:
Ezekiel "Coop" Cooper discovers his daughter, Bette, dead in his weekend getaway cottage. The positioning of her body suggests a ritual killing. Her devastated father is a former NYPD detective forced into retirement by cancer. The cancer may be in remission, but his cop instincts are not. After beginning his own investigation, he is contacted by writer Deni Green, who believes that Coop's daughter was the latest victim of a serial killer who has also hunted in Florida and the Pacific Northwest. His interest piqued, Coop forms an uneasy alliance with Green, who hopes to write a true-crime account of the case. When Coop learns the single detail that ties the killings together, it may be too late to save Cara Callahan, the sister of one of the New York victims and the woman who has given Coop hope for the future.

I love how John Lutz gives an a good view of the killers mind and why they are doing the horrible crimes. I am the type of person who likes to know the whys of things, so when author's do that, it makes the book that much better. The suspense is always well done and while the killer is not someone who we know, the reader is given enough clues to determine how and why the victims are killed. The only downside of Mr. Lutz's novels are very, very similar where a retired cop gets involved in the investigation.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I think I may do the random number generator again. I don't know what I am in the mood for, but I really want to read right now. Tomorrow is the last day of school, but all of the testing is done and tomorrow is just a field trip. I can't wait for my two week vacation to start. I think I am going to start doing some laundry right now and just be lazy and read since I don't have anything to do for school. Happy Reading!

No comments: