Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Red Leaves by Thomas H. Cook

Red Leaves is another book I heard about from someones blog, though I am not sure whose. I really need to start keeping track of this better, but what I do is just read other peoples' blogs and then go right to my library's website and place it on hold. Anyways, whoever mentioned Red Leaves, thank you so much. I absolutely loved it and give it an A-.

Back cover:
Eric Moore has a stable life in a quiet town. Then, on an ordinary night, his teenage son Keith babysits Amy Giordano, the eight-year-old daughter of a neighboring family. The next morning Amy is missing, and Eric isn't sure his son is innocent. Caught in a vortex of doubt and lies, Eric must find out what happened to Amy Giordano before his- and the community's- suspicions about Keith are proved right.

Mr. Cook has a fantastic voice and I loved reading his words. He does a fantastic job of illustrating a father's pain, emotion, suspicions, and doubts and makes it all seem very real. It was somewhat refreshing to read about a parent who doesn't just take their child's word for gospel (I see this all of the time at work) but doesn't let it stop their love or feelings for them. The book is written in a very realistic way and is such a joy to read. I loved how a lot of themes are weaved through the story and though it is billed as a suspense, it is really so much more than that. The only reason that I marked it down from an A is because I thought the ending was a bit rushed, though the ending was extremely realistic, if not heartbreaking in a way. I highly recommend Red Leaves and plan on checking out more of Mr. Cook's works.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I did pick up a library book today, Hedge Fund Wives, but I think I may sneak in one of my own. I got all of my household duties for the day done, so besides sneaking in a bike ride possibly, I plan on devoting part of the evening to reading. I hope everyone else is having a fantastic day and Happy Reading!

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I LOVED this book. He is one author than has never disappointed me. Have you read Chatham School Affair? very good.