Friday, June 26, 2009

Don't Cry Now by Joy Fielding

I started out reading the latest Anne Stuart and had really high hopes for it, but the book ended up being more romance than suspense so I gave up. I read over 140 pages, but still couldn't get into it, so instead of forcing myself to read it, I stopped. It was quite a liberating feeling as in the past, I would always make myself finish a book. To avoid a reading slump, I picked up a book off of my own shelves by one of my favorite authors and it was just the thing. I ended up really liking Don't Cry Now and give it a B+.

Inside cover:
Happily married with a beautiful young daughter, a handsome husband, and a sprawling house in one of Boston's most comfortable suburbs, Bonnie Wheeler has an enviable life. Even her husband's ex-wife, Joan, with her tendency toward bad timing, is merely a nuisance.
But one morning Bonnie must grasp the fragility of her perfect world. When she finds Joan shot through the heart, it becomes terrifyingly clear that someone is also after her- and her exquisite child.

Ms. Fielding does an absolute wonderful job of throwing red herrings throughout the story and left me running though all of the characters and who the bad guy could be. I thought I had it all figured out, and then all of the sudden, I would be doubting myself and talking myself out of it. I think that is the true test of a good suspense novel and love trying to figure out the mystery at the end. There were a couple of other things running through the story that I was able to figure out, but I do have to admit that it was right as the author was laying everything out for the reader. I kept saying to myself, "Oh yeah... I should have seen that coming!" Ms. Fielding always does a fantastic job of providing down-to-earth main characters who you can relate to and really root for. There was also a touching side story about Bonnie and her father that touched me so that was an extra bonus!

I just picked up three more library books and now have 8 to read! I really need to get through these, so I think this weekend I am going to spend some time away from the computer and add more time in the books! I went on a job interview a couple of weeks ago, and though I didn't get the job I applied for, I was offerred another position. I will now be a teacher's assistant instead of the teacher. I guess in some ways it is good, less stress and work, but I am still not fulfilling my dream of teaching. However, in this economy, where school districts are constantly laying off teachers, I am happy to have something steady and know where I am going each morning and not having to wait for a phone call to find out where I am going to work. I also just found out that a friend of mine is pregnant. While I am happy for her, she just started trying, and my husband and I have been trying for awhile without any luck. My hubby had a doctor appointment where there was the slight possibilty of something being severly wrong (I don't even want to type it in so I don't take the chance of jinxing ourselves) that was leading to this, but so far it looks ok. So I guess the moral of today's story is to look at the positive and be appreciative of what I do have. Anything else is just icing on the cake I guess!

Whew... sorry I went on rambling.... I guess my anxiety levels have been skyrocketing and I just needed to ge this off of my chest. Please feel free to ignore all of that, but if you haven't read a Joy Fielding book, go check one out! I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend and Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am glad you were able to read a good one after the not so good one. I really need to read something by this author. I've heard wonderful things about her books--and this one sounds really good.

Congratulations on the new job! That is such wonderful news, Kristie! Even though it isn't a teaching position (yet!), it will at least tide you over until you are able to find one. As you said, it's a tough job market out there right now. And perhaps this is yet another foot in the door.

The agency I work for is facing some major cuts this next fiscal year and my union contract is up the end of this month. So far, it's not looking good. I'm praying we don't go on strike and that the cuts the agency wants to make won't be as bad as they sound right now. I'm not sure I can afford it either way. I keep telling myself that at least I will still have a job when all is said and done. I can't say it completely alleviates my stress, but it helps some.

I wish you and your husband the best of luck with having a baby. I'll keep you in my thoughts. :-)

Kristie said...

Thanks for your kind words. I will keep you in my thoughts as well with the job. Things are so shaky right now everywhere. I really hope everything works out well.

As far as having a baby, maybe right now isn't the perfect time for us. I just have to keep telling myself it will happen when the time is right.