Friday, June 19, 2009

Amnesia by David Best

Amnesia is a book I have had on my shelves for quite a bit. I grabbed it after finishing my last book and quickly scanned the back of it and since it grabbed my attention, I decided to read it. I was a bit disappointed and wasn't too thrilled with it. I give Amnesia a C.

Back cover:
Gibson State is a mental hospital controlled by an eccentric administrator with cutting-edge theories on memories. But it's what psychiatrist Marti Segerson remembers that brings her to this isolated asylum in rural Tennessee- serial killer Vernon Odessa. Eighteen years ago he counted Marti's sister among his victims. Marti never forgot what she saw. She still lives with her nightmares- and the need for revenge.
In the darkness of the institution, something is happening. The staff seems bound by secrecy, Odessa is engaging in mind games of his own, and Marti's memory is suddenly full of holes. The line between illusion and reality is being crossed. And even murder is not what it seems.

This book was a bit blah for me, and at times I didn't feel like picking it up to read. I thought that the premise sounded very interesting and thought that it would be something with a lot of thrills and chills and something that would spook me a bit, but it wasn't meant to be. The writing at times was somewhat choppy and the author seemed to be telling the story through Marti's eyes, then all of a sudden, in the same sentence, change voice. It was confusing and somewhat difficult to keep track of. I also thought there was a lot of telling instead of showing, which put me off a bit. I wish it was a better read, though, because I thought the premise held promise.

Up next is another library book. Unfortunetly, this week I felt like going book shopping, so instead I went to the library. I know have 7 library books to read, but I think I am going to alternate between one of mine and one of the library books. I am going to start Hedge Fund Wives, which is a book I read about on several blogs. I hope everyone is off to a great weekend and Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

This one does sound disappointing. I hate it when a book sounds like it will be good and then the writing ruins it.

Kristie said...

I know. It seems like all of my library books lately have been fantastic, but then my own books have been so so. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I mostly place books on hold from the library after reading others reviews... something to think about! I hope your reading is going fantastically!