Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Kiss Gone Bad by Jeff Abbott

I have seen and heard a lot about Jeff Abbott, especially one of his newer books, Panic. I decided to see what some of his other books were about so I looked at my library's catalog. A Kiss Gone Bad sounded like something I would really enjoy and placed it on hold. As has been the case lately, once I sat down and made time to read, A Kiss Gone Bad was a fast, action packed read. I give it a B.

Back cover:
A death rocks the Gulf Coast town of Port Leo, Texas. Beach-bum-turned-judge Whit Mosley is summoned to a yacht where the black-sheep son of a senator lies dead. Was it suicide, fueled by a family tragedy? Or did an obsessed killer use the dead man as a pawn in a twisted game? When Whit defies political pressure and conducts an inquest, he and Detective Claudia Salazar expose a nest of drug lords, con artists, and power-hungry sharks- all out for blood. With their careers- and their lives- at stake, Whit and Claudia must unearth a lethal trail of passion and deceit that lies buried not in the warm sands of Port Leo but in the icy recesses of the human heart...

Mr. Abbott does a fantastic job of describing Port Leo and made me want to book a flight on the next plane out to there. Whit Mosely is such a loveable character and I would love to be friends with him, since he is so loyal and such a great defender of truth and what is right. There was a ton of action in this book and the twists and turns kept coming though sometimes it seemed like it was a bit of overkill. There were a ton of characters, and at times, it was somewhat difficult to keep track of all of them. Besides those two things, I thought A Kiss Gone Bad was a good suspense read and I will probably check out more books by Mr. Abott in the future.

Up next is a book I have read a ton about in the blogosphere- Best Intentions by Emily Listfield. This book has one of my favorite settings, New York City, and focuses on a woman who feels the need to fit in with the city's elite, sending her daughters to an expensive private school and has a nagging feeling her husband may be cheating on her. I just started it about twenty minutes ago and have read the first two chapters and it seems to be promising. My beloved Red Wings lost in Game 7 on Friday to the horrible Pittsburgh Penguins and I have been quite down about it. Some of you may know that a fellow blogger who I was friends with, Barbara, passed away earlier this year. Last year the two of I had a friendly bet when the Penguins and the Wings played each other and the Wings won. So while I am upset that I won't be able to go to another parade (the Wings have won 4 times in the past 11 years), I hope that Barbara is up there, smiling down on the Penguins' win. I wish we could have had another friendly bet this year too.

Well I am off to read and enjoy the summer weather that finally seems to have made an appearance, hopefully for good. Happy Reading everyone!

No comments: