Sunday, December 2, 2007

Autobiography of a Fat Bride by Laurie Notaro

This is my second book by Laurie Notaro and I enjoyed it. I liked it slightly better than the first one I read, especially since this one had some order in the way the story is told. I would give this book a B+.

From Amazon:

Notaro's first book, The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club (2002), achieved cult status and became a surprise best-seller. Returning with another uproarious collection of personal essays from the dating front, Notaro proves that her first-time success wasn't a fluke. Detailing her trip down the bumpy road to matrimony, Notaro outrageously entertains with a sweetly skewed outlook on everything from breaded meats to baby wipes. Having endured boyfriends from hell and survived kamikaze-style dating, Notaro does the unthinkable by getting someone to fall in love with her! This, in Notaro's world, is not the equivalent of the Holy Grail. First, there are in-laws to impress and weddings to plan, both without inflicting bodily harm or doing jail time. Next come the challenges of permanent cohabitation, with its surprise revelations of untoward bodily functions and appearances. Finally, there are the joys of first-time home ownership and joint income-tax filing. Notaro tackles them all with the inimitable, acerbic wit and ruthless, self-deprecating candor that have deservedly earned her legions of loyal fans.

Ms. Notaro really does have a good voice and tells a pretty funny story. Now I don't know if this makes me weird or what, but I really good relate a lot to her and some of her stories. I won't go into too much detail about what I can relate to because that just might be too much information. Her mom and Nana are absolutely hilarious and I loved the chapters that they were involved in. Her and her husband's relationship also reminded me a bit of my and my hubby's relationship, so that brought a few smiles to my face. Again this was a short book and what I really liked about it was it was perfect for me to pick up and read for three minutes while in line at the post office or bank and not be confused when I picked it up again.

While I am loving these memoirs and I have two more from the library by two different authors, I think I am going to read a thriller. I need to switch it up a bit. I looked at my bookshelves and I think I am going to read next The Wrong Man by John Katzenbach. I read about this on one of the blogs I was reading and have it on my shelf, so I think I am going to grab that. I also have been bad lately and bought quite a few books so I really need to pick more books off those shelves instead of constantly reading library books. That is going to be one of my reading goals next year is for every new book I buy or get from the library, I need to read one from my shelves. We'll see how long that will last but is something I really want to focus one.

I don't think I will be leaving the house much today as the weather is crappy. Last night we got snow, then ice, and now it is supposed to rain all day. Perfect day to stay in! Hope everyone else is reading and having an excellent weekend! Happy Reading!

No comments: