Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club by Laurie Notaro

Continuing on my memoir kick, I picked this book up at the library after getting a recommendation for it while searching for more books by Jen Lancaster. It is a pretty short book, only 225 pages and I was able to finish it quickly. It definitely had some pretty funny points and I could relate to some of the things she talks about. I give this a B.

From Amazon:

I’ve changed a bit since high school. Back then I said no to using and selling drugs. I washed on a normal basis and still had good credit.”Introducing Laurie Notaro, the leader of the Idiot Girls’ Action-Adventure Club. Every day she fearlessly rises from bed to defeat the evil machinations of dolts, dimwits, and creepy boyfriends—and that’s before she even puts on a bra.For the past ten years, Notaro has been entertaining Phoenix newspaper readers with her wildly amusing autobiographical exploits and unique life experiences. She writes about a world of hourly-wage jobs that require absolutely no skills, a mother who hands down judgments more forcefully than anyone seated on the Supreme Court, horrific high school reunions, and hangovers that leave her surprised that she woke up in the first place.The misadventures of Laurie and her fellow Idiot Girls (“too cool to be in the Smart Group”) unfold in a world that everyone will recognize but no one has ever described so hilariously. She delivers the goods: life as we all know it.

Like I mentioned above, this book was very lighthearted and funny. It is an easy book to read in small bits like during commericals or when I wanted to take a quick 5 minute break from working on my portfolio. The wide range of topics from jury duty to when Laurie's mother finally gets email. I had a few chuckles out loud and overall it was a pleasant read. The only downside I had to the book was that it seemed to be completely out of order. In one chapter she is unemployed with no boyfriend, and in the next she is living in a house with a boyfriend. After doing some research on Amazon though I saw that these were all entries from her columns that she wrote for a newspaper in Phoneix. I wish she could have put it in some type of a timeline, though, as I wouldn't have been bouncing around so much. Overall though, I was able to really enjoy it.

Up next is the second of her books, Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood. This book is slightly longer, coming in at 258 pages though if I read for another hour tonight, I should have it done by tomorrow. Lately I haven't been able to stay awake later than 10:00 p.m., which is really early for a nightowl like me. However, I am absolutely giddy that I only have a couple of small things left to do on my portfolio which I plan on doing right after school. That is going to be wonderful. I even did my weekly cleaning tonight, so I all I will have to do is laundry this weekend. My husband and I have our bowling night on Saturday and I am meeting my dad Saturday afternoon but besides that it is going to be relaxing, reading, and catching up on my recorded shows. I can't wait! Well I hope everyone else is having a great time reading! Happy reading to all!

No comments: