Friday, November 23, 2007

The House on Sprucewood Lane by Caroline Slate

While at the library checking out the paperback shelves, I saw this book and it kind of jumped out at me. While reading the back, it sounded like something right up my alley. I picked it up because I had kind of been reading books outside of my comfort zone. It wasn't what I was expecting, but still turned out to be an all right book. I rate it a B-.

Calista McQuade is a star from the beginning, adored and pushed by her strong but driven mother, Melanie; loved from a distance by her damaged journalist father, Tom; and both loved and hated by her older brother, Jared. After the murder, at Jared's request, Melanie's sister, Alexis, is reconciled with the family after a rupture caused by her affair with Tom. But can the troubled and bulimic Lex even help herself? And whom can she trust? Suspicion centers on the family and 12-year-old Jared in particular. Lex employs her considerable detective skills as a documentary filmmaker to discover anything that might help her nephew. There are other possibilities: the McQuades' wealthy friend Courtney and Courtney's husband, Calista's coach, Vin; their maid, Tonya. But the police are looking no further than the family, and Lex knows Jared's time is running out.

From the blurb on the back of the book, it sounded like it was going to be a turn pager and highly suspensful. Instead, a lot of time is spent looking into Lex's growing up and her history. It really didn't add much to the story and in my opinion, did not have much at all to do with the mystery. The mystery kept me reading and while some of the backstory was interesting it was way too much. The book was over 400 pages long and the print was really tiny. I think that probably 100 pages could have been cut out. I did quite a bit of skimming. If the mystery wasn't as compelling to me as it was, I would have otherwise stopped reading it especially since my reading time is so limited. I finished this yesterday, though I am just now getting around to posting it.

I am running on pure steam right now. I went shopping lst night at midnight and didn't get home until almost 8:00 this morning. I slept about 4 hours and then got a ton of work done. It feels so nice. I am probably 90% done with my portfolio which is my huge project for graduation. Most of the stuff that I have to finish is just making up some title pages and organizing a bit. It shouldn't be too hard and I will get to it later. Tomorrow, I want to clean and maybe get a little bit more done on it and then get all of my Christmas decorations. Sunday will be spent reading and relaxing. I can't believe I have less than 3 weeks until graduation. It is surreal!

Up next is Cage of Stars by Jacqueline Mitchard. It is something else that is kind of out of my normal range, but I have high hopes. Well I am off to bed. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: