Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank by Celia Rivenbark

I got this book from the library after seeing the title and getting a recommendation from Amazon based on the books that I looked at. I was interested in reading it since I assumed I could relate to a lot of the topics and ended up reading it in a couple of hours. I would rate it a B-.

From Amazon:


Celia Rivenbark is an intrepid explorer and acid commentator on the land south of the Mason-Dixon Line. In this collection of screamingly funny essays, you’ll discover: *How to get your kid into a character breakfast at Disney World (or run the risk of eating chicken out of a bucket with Sneezy)
*Secrets of Celebrity Moms (don’t hate them because they’re beautiful when there are so many other reasons)
*ebay addiction and why “It ain’t worth having if it ain’t on ebay”
*Why today’s children’s clothes make six-year-olds look like Vegas showgirls with an abundance of anger issues
*And so much more!
Celia Rivenbark’s essays about life in today’s South are like caramel popcorn---sweet, salty, and utterly irresistible.


Like I said, I read this pretty quickly. It was a light read and Ms. Rivenbark was dead on in some of her writings. I was often nodding along with her and did enjoy it. I believe part of the reason why I marked it down, however, was because in one paragraph she would be talking about something and then just rattle off in a totally different topic. Part of it could have been me, however, because I am very anxious and nervous. Today was my last day of student teaching and tomorrow morning I have my portfolio presentation which will allow for the college to recommend me for certification. I don't feel prepared enough and I am just so nervous. I have to be there by 8:30 a.m. tomorrow morning and it is in downtown Detroit and of course they are predicting snow right in time for rush hour.

Oops, there I go. I just rattled off into a totally different topic.

I suffered from a pretty bad depression and anxiety problems this summer and got them under control pretty well. However, the past month it has been rearing it's ugly head and I am having a really tough time tonight. I can't sit still and would love to go work some of this energy off on the treadmill, but unfortunetly I have a bad migraine and I don't think that will work. My kids today threw me a party and there were tears shedded, but I am not too upset because I know I will see them when I sub and next week at the Christmas party. Ugh, that's another thing I am stressing about because I am not done with my shopping and have wrapped exactly zero presents.

All right, enough. I know this sucks as a book review, but to sum it up, it was a fun book to read, though I doubt I will go out and look for more by her. Up next is a book by M.J. Rose named The Venus Fix. I have read many of her other books including the Morgan Snow series, and I think this one is the second one. I have already read the third one but am pretty sure it doesn't matter what order I read the books and it has been a long time. Hopefully I will get to read a bit before I attempt to sleep, but I am not sure. I want to study my portfolio and what I am going to discuss and I need to pick out my clothes tomorrow morning.

All right, sorry for putting anyone to sleep. I guess I just needed to vent a bit. Happy reading!

1 comment:

SuziQoregon said...

I haven't picked up this book yet, but a couple of years ago I read another one by her - Bless Your Heart, Tramp.

Another quick read - pretty much a collection of essays.

I read her weekly column online - sometimes she can just crack me up.

Bood luck with your portfolio presentation!!