Thursday, December 20, 2007

Eye Contact by Stephen Collins

After reading the book by Mr. Collins that I got from the library used book sale I had to check out his backlist. While I was disappointed to find that he only had one other book, but I was glad to see that it was at my local library. I went and got it, and enjoyed it a lot. I rated it a B+.

From Amazon:

Actress Nicolette Stallings is a compulsive exhibitionist who in the throes of self-loathing manipulates men by leading them into sexual acts that feed her masochism. When she provides a night of uninhibited sexual fantasy for a man she picks up in a restaurant, he turns out to have more problems than she can handle, which plunges her into a frenzy of self-preservation. Teaming with memorable characters (first-time novelist Collins makes New York cabbies and doormen come alive in a few short sentences), the book is full of people who help Nick see herself for who she really is. Surviving visits to her analyst, an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, her mother's compulsive soup making, the desire to self-destruct, her need to expose herself, and her disastrous approach to her career, Nick learns to meet life one day at a time and could well become the Holden Caulfield of the 1990s.

This book had an excellent premise and was nothing like I have read before. At first, I hated Nick but as the story continues, you really begin to feel for her and get a better understanding of where she is coming from. The side characters are also wonderful, especially Nick's new-found friend Joanna. There is quite a few graphic scenes in the beginning of the story, but just like I mentioned in my previous post it didn't bother me. I may have liked this book better than Mr. Collins' previous book that I read, though this book ended with a few questions and I like things a bit more tied up. I also thought the resoulution to the main problem came out of nowhere, though it didn't bring down my assessment of this book that much.

I am not sure what is up next. I need to look at my bookshelves. I have now read two straight books from the library and I am trying to balance out my TBR books with my library books. T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton came in for me so I am looking forward to reading that but I am going to read one of my own books first. I will hopefully be able to make it to the library tomorrow because it is the last day before they close for the holiday. I would love to get that one read this weekend. I am know on vacation until January 7 and am really looking forward to it. I do have some work to do for my mom's business which I can do from my house in my pajamas, so I really don't mind that. I need to get two more gift cards and Christmas is done. Today was my DH's 30th birthday, so I am relieved that is all done now. I just need some time to decompress and relax a bit and am looking forward to that. Hope everyone else is getting some relaxing and Happy Reading in!

No comments: