Monday, December 17, 2007

Pyres by Derek Nikitas

As I mentioned in my previous post, I read about Pyres on another bloggers site and it seemed interesting. I picked it up from the library and while it got off to a slow start, I was quickly into it. I give it an A-.

From Amazon:

In PYRES, 15 year old Lucia Moberg lifts a CD out of a store in a shopping mall-and when she and her dad get into their car, there is a tap at the window.The next second her father's brains are on the dashboard.So begins the story of the ruin of her mother, whose home life is shrouded in darkness, a mysterious and menacing motorcycle gang, the real-to-life female cop out to crack the case, who is facing her own family's collapse, and the struggle for Lucia to piece together some semblance of a normal teenage life.The writing is hard and crisp, and wholly multi-dimensional, while the story moves along at a nail-biting pace with twists, turns, literary allusions, and the engaging plight of several fascinating, memorable, and fully rounded characters.

This was a really well-written book. I really felt for Luc and all of the guilt and experiences she had to deal with. I couldn't even imagine the pain that she felt and then all of the blame she places on herself for her father's death. The book had a ton of twists and turns and the suspense was well done. About 75% through the book the read finds out all of the whodunits, but the suspense still builds. I really enjoyed the characters of Luc and Greta, the cop who investigated the murder. The only thing that I did not enjoy was some of the references to Luc's father's heritage because at times it seemed like it was a little far-fetched, and I do admit to skimming some of those parts. Overall, a very good first book by Mr. Nikitas.

Up next is the other Stephen Collins book titled Eye Contact. I got it from the library and want to see how this one is. We had a snow day today, so I was able to get a lot done last night and today. Most of the shopping is done and most of the wrapping is done. I have a couple more small gifts to get and a few gift cards to get. I am happy about that. Tomorrow I am only working half of a day, so I will be able to get the rest of it done hopefully. Hope everyone else had a good weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: