Friday, October 31, 2008

The Anniversary by Amy Gutman

The Anniversary is another book I got a recommendation from my library. It took me forever to read it, though I think it was more me than the book. I don't know why my reading has slowed so much, but once I put my mind to it, I finished it pretty quickly. I give it a B.

From Amazon:
Laura Seton has put her past behind her. Several years earlier, her former boyfriend was put to death after being linked to the murder of more than 100 young women. On the fifth anniversary of his death, a chilling note is left at her door-a note that might have come from her dead lover. Unbeknownst to her, two other women receive identical notes-someone is forcing them all to confront a past they've tried to forget. Steven Gage was a charming and elusive psychopathic serial killer. Five years after his capture and execution, his ex-girlfriend, the lawyer who defended him on Death Row, and the writer who turned his story into a bestselling true crime book reach the edge of terror as they are hunted by a shape-shifting shadow from the past. The anniversary is an edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller that will keep hearts pounding until the last shocking twist.

The book was an interesting and a good mystery. There were quite a few red herrings that threw me a bit, but about 75% through the book I had it figured out. I had a hard time sympathizing with the main character. The way she dealt with her daughter got on my nerves and it really irked me. I am not sure why this seems to be bother me so much lately, but I think it has to do with the students I come in contact with on a daily basis and the fact that me and my husband are starting to think about having a baby soon. Our 4 year anniversary is on Wednesday so I think it is getting close to time. Anyways, the book was good but nothing really special that made me go WOW!

Up next is another book by Stephen Cannell. This one is called Final Victim and does sound a little bit different. I plan on doing a lot of reading this weekend, so hopefully I can get through this one quickly. I have been sick for the past couple of days and normally when I am sick I love to read, but this week I have been so tired that I can't concentrate. I feel a bit better today so hopefully I am turning the corner. Happy Halloween and Happy Reading!

No comments: