Sunday, October 19, 2008

18 Seconds by George Shuman

I got this recommendation from Barbara on Heidi's Books after reading her review on the second book in this series. She is being kind enough to send it to me but said I had to get the first one in the series and read it first. I grabbed it from the library and checked it out and am so happy I did. It was a really great book, and I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
Thirty years after a deadly traffic accident landed Earl Sykes in prison, he is back on the streets of Wildwood, New Jersey -- and back for revenge. He is also feeding his perverse appetite for abducting young female victims -- the same crimes he committed years ago for which he was never caught.
Police lieutenant Kelly O'Shaughnessy is bewildered by the disappearance of several young women from the boardwalk -- crimes horrifyingly reminiscent of unsolved cases from the seventies. Reluctant to ask for help but desperate to stem the bloodshed, Kelly enlists investigative consultant Sherry Moore. Blind and beautiful, Sherry has the extraordinary ability to "see" the deceased's last eighteen seconds of memory by touching the corpse. As they join forces to discover the killer's identity, the women unwittingly become the hunted -- each step drawing them closer to the deadly clutches of a homicidal monster.


I was expecting this book to be more about Sherry Moore, but it was much more than that. Sherry is a really likeable character and seems like someone I would love to be friends with. The story was really well written and I will admit that I was a little weary about reading about psyhics since most of the time I don't like paranormals. However, the author does an excellent job of incorporating police work along with the visions that Sherry sees. I also liked that we got inside the mind of a killer, even though it meant all along that the reader knows who committed the crime. The only thing that kind of disappointed me was the fact that at the end of the book there was a big hurricane coming. Sometimes I feel that an author takes an easy way out with a storm and making things difficult at the end. I am probably just nitpicking here, but it did bother me.

I am not sure what I am going to read next, but I do know that it will be something off of my TBR shelves. No more library books for awhile as I have so many to read and my husband has kept asking me why I feel the need to check books out from the library when I have my own mini-library downstairs. I think I may use a random number generator to decide what I am going to grab, however my books aren't in alphabetical order right now and sometimes it is hard to find that book. I hope everyone had a great weekend and Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The second book totally sucked. I know that's crude, but it did. I could see issues with this writer in 18 Seconds. Those surfaced in the next. I have his latest, Lost Girls and he is doing a better job. :)