Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Beach House by James Patterson

I picked up this book at last week's used book sale and decided to grab it off of the shelves since I always read Mr. Patterson's book so fast. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with this book and felt like a lot more could have been done with the book. I give it a B.

Back cover:
Jack Mullen is a driven student of the law. His brother Peter is a servant of the rich, parking the cars of the Hamptons elite- and perhaps satisfying their more intimate needs as well. Then Peter's body is found on the beach. Jack knows the drowning was no accident, but someone's unlimited power and money have bought the cops, the judges, the system. Now Jack is learning a lesson in justice he never got in law school... and his astonishing plan to beat the billionaires will have you reeling- and cheering- to the very last page.

I just thought that some of this book was really far-fetching, though the more I think about it, maybe I am just being naive. The pure fact that the elite and rich can get away with anything they want is terrifying and definitely not what one wants to believe is true. However, the book was engaging and was a brainless read, which sometimes is necessary. I started reading this Thursday but didn't really get into it until last night when finally my eyes gave out. I was so eager to finish it though, so I woke up way too early to finish reading it. I love how Mr. Patterson always uses short paragraphs as there is always a place to end reading and I don't feel like I will forget a ton if I just read a page here and there.

Another local library had another used book sale and I went there today for the bag sale. I got a ton of books for $5.00 and some of them are in brand new condition! I couldn't believe it. Tomorrow is their free day and I may just go back and see what they have left. My bag was overflowing, but the ladies just chuckled at me and said they were glad to see younger people take such an interest in reading. That comment made me feel real nice, as I am constantly reminded of how old I am getting. While at that library, I also checked out two books so I will be reading those first. One is the newest Jackie Collins book, Married Lovers, and I only have a week for it so I will be reading that first. I plan on getting a lot of reading in today but I took some cold medicine that is making me real drowsy right now and I have some cleaning to do. I think I am going to lay down right now with the book and maybe take a little nap. I hope everyone has a great weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: