Sunday, June 29, 2008

In the Shadow of the Arch by Robert J. Randisi

In my previous entry, I said I was going to read a book by S.K. McAllferty and I did start it but couldn't finish it. I read over 125 pages, but it was much more romance than suspense and I was not interested in it. I went to CVS yesterday with a gift card and picked up this book there. It was a new-to-me author and I decided to read it it instead. It was a fast read, and I wasn't disappointed by it. I give it a B.

From the back of the book:
Joe Keough, a former New York City police detective, moved to St. Louis to get away from the bloodshed of the Big Apple and start fresh. But five minutes into Keough's new life, four-year-old Brady Sanders walked into his St. Loius police station, leaving behind a trail of bloody footprints.
That was only the beginning of a twisted trail of darkness and fear, from Brady's missing parents and their blood soaked house, to the kidnapping of beautiful mothers and their small children. Were these hideous acts a series of unrelated coincidences, or was there a serial killer on the loose, stalking and killing the citizens of St. Louis? It wasn't long before Keough was forced to realize that death in the Midwest is no different from death in New York. Terror is terror, no matter where you live.

This was a good book and I was really interested in it. It was very easy to read and the characters were very likeable. I think this book could have been excellent if it was written more as a thriller instead of a police procedural but it wasn't bad. The violence and descriptions was done in a way that there wasn't any graphic details. I have a feeling that this was a part of a series though I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the police didn't use any sort of technology to help them. I am not even talking about DNA or forensic evidence, but there wasn't any use of computers. The book was originally published in 1998, though I remember using the internet and computers ten years ago. Just something that annoyed me but not really a big deal.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I doubt I will be able to get another book in before the end of the month. Looking at my statistics, I have currently read 58 books this year. I am almost on track to meet my goal this year of 120 books. I hope I am able to reach it. Normally I don't work in the summer which would help me, but this summer I have two jobs. In three weeks, I start my second job and though it is Monday through Friday, I only work until noon. However, I will be teaching so there will be a bunch of planning and all of that. I do have two weeks off at the end of summer so I hope to get lots of reading in. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and Happy Reading!

No comments: