Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Cold Dark Place by Gregg Olsen

I decided to read A Cold Dark Place after not being able to find Mr. Olsen's previous book that was being read for my Shelfari group. It was going to be the read for the early part of June, but I couldn't find it at the store. I was reading great reviews about it, so I decided to read the one Gregg Olsen book I did have. It was a good read and I give it a B.

From Amazon:
The Seeds Of Evil...
In a secluded farm house in the Pacific Northwest, a family has been slaughtered--and a teenage son has disappeared. Single mother and cop, Emily Kenyon spearheads a dark hunt for a killer. But Emily's teenage daughter Jenna is one step ahead of her...
Are Planted In...
Jenna knows the boy suspected of murdering his family and wants to help him--perhaps too much. Then within days of the first murder, another family is butchered, this time in Iowa. And on the heels of this brutal slaying, another follows in Salt Lake City. Eerie similarities link the crime scenes. But an even darker connection threatens to claim even more victims...
A Cold Dark Place
As Emily fits the puzzle pieces together, she realizes the danger surrounding her daughter is worse than she'd imagined. Now in a desperate race to save Jenna, Emily must match wits with the most cunning, diabolical killer she's faced yet in her career--a killer who's just placed her and her daughter at the top of his list...

I have to admit that I really didn't care all that much for the main character, Emily. She really grated on my nerves. I also found a couple of mistakes in the book, especially concerning the timeline of things, and that really bothered me. I do not actively search for mistakes, so when I do run across them, it must be pretty bad. However, with all of that being said, it was a good suspense book and I liked the ending a lot. It seems to me that lately I have been finding great books with wonderful endings. I guess I have been lucky. I probably will continue to check out more of Mr. Olsen's books in the future.

I am not sure what book I am going to read next. Today has been such a wonderful day with absolutlely gorgeous weather, so I think I will pick up a Jackie Collins book. Her books always seem to scream summer to me, so it seems like a fitting choice. Tomorrow I am going to the Tiger's game with my dad, and hopefully the storms we are supposed to get will hold off until the game is over. I hope everyone else is having a relaxing weekend and Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read A WICKED SNOW and loved it. Afterwards, I wasn't done and wanted to read more fiction. I just got this one in and will start either this coming week or the next. Now you have me curious if I will like it as much.

Hmmmm....

Kristie said...

It wasn't horrible, but not just my favorite book. I think I will be checking out A Wicked Snow from the library.

Anonymous said...

After reading A WICKED SNOW, I wanted to see how his next book compared. Will I like it better? The same? More?

Can't wait!