Friday, June 20, 2008

American Star by Jackie Collins

I always enjoy Jackie Collins' novels, especially in the summer. They are always nice and easy reads that are perfect after a heavy suspense read. This one was no exception and I rate it a B.

Back of the book:
Nick Angel, dark, brooding, hypnotic, the cult superstar of the silver screen with the five o'clock shdaow and mesmerizing emerald eyes... Lauren Roberts, The Face of the Decade, who made modeling history with her air of mystery, elegance, and reserve...
They were two Kansas kids with memories to burn and ambition to slake, far afield from the reckless New Year's Eve that shattered their lives, driving them first to desperation, then to fame and fortune- worlds apart, but still yearning for each other...
Nick is burned out and used up, drowning in vodka, bimbos and cheap thrills. Anything to forget Lauren, who's rocketing to fame while her heart is starving...
But they meet by chance at a lavish Hollywood party, and explosive passions ignite. Two lost lovers, unwitting targets of Nick's venegeful Hollywood wife, who is primed with lethal secrets and ready to destroy them both...

This was an easy read, but unfortunely, I haven't had much time to read. This new job is a lot of work and I come home beat. It is fun, but playing with kids all day in active games is tiring. Anyways, this book was good but a big one, coming in at almost 700 pages. This is a love story, though you really do get to really know the characters and I enjoy that. I become emotionally involved with the characters and want to continue learning about their lives. I guess you could consider Jackie Collins books a soap opera in a novel format. I have plenty more of her books on my shelves and I am sure I will be reading more as the summer continues.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I do have a book in from the library that I need to pick up tomorrow, but I feel like reading some more tonight so I will probably pick something off of my shelves. I got all of my laundry and cleaning done today, so this weekend I plan on relaxing and reading and enjoying the lovely weekend. I think it is supposed to finally stay warm after days in the 60s, so that will be nice. Happy Reading!

No comments: