Sunday, June 8, 2008

Flashpoint by Lynn S. Hightower

Flashpoint was another library book sale that I got last month. I started reading it Friday and we then lost power, so I got a ton of reading done Friday night and then again today when we had a big storm. The book was a good suspense, and I enjoyed it. I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
Sonora Blair, a Cincinnati homicide detective and single mother of two, is summoned in the middle of the night to the scene of a particularly gruesome murder. There, a naked, hideously burned young man is handcuffed to the wheel of his car. A deathbed interrogation reveals the perpetrator to be a woman, and Sonora soon learns that the murderess has a history of torching her victims. After a series of suspenseful developments, it soon becomes painfully evident that the killer is watching Sonora's every move and that the detective and those she loves are potential targets. To anticipate the next maneuver and to catch this twisted sociopath takes all of Sonora's tough police experience and nerve.

I wasn't aware that this book was part of a series, but it didn't really bother me. There wasn't a ton of references to things that happened in previous books so it really didn't bother me. However, I may just check out books further along in the series if I happen to come across any. Like in many of the books I have been reading lately, the reader does discover whodunit fairly early on but it doesn't take anything away from the suspense. This book kept me reading when I had plenty of other things to do and even when I was gone all day yesterday, my mind wasn't far from the book. I really enjoyed it a lot and I am glad. I kind of want to keep seeing what is going to happen in the series so that is always a good sense that I enjoyed the book. I would love to hear from anyone that has read any of the author's other books, though I did notice on Amazon that they are about 10 years old, but you never know. Well I am off, going to check my email and read all of my blogs since I have been offline all weekend. Then I am going to jump right into another book. Happy Reading!

No comments: