Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Screaming Room by Thomas O'Callaghan

I bought The Screaming Room because the premise sounded really great. I really had great expectations for this book, and unfortunetly was left a little disappointed. I can only give the book a B-.

From Amazon:
John Driscoll has laid the ghosts of his past to rest. He's ready to start over--both personally and as a New York City homicide detective. But it seems that a serial killer has other plans for Driscoll.
The victims' bodies are found, brutally mutilated and carefully arranged. Someone has displayed the corpses for the world to see: on a Ferris wheel; in a dinosaur diorama; on a bridge--grotesque visions to all except for the depraved killer, who considers them masterpieces. These blood rituals spell out a message to Driscoll. And they are just the beginning...
Driscoll's investigation will lead him down the darkest of journeys, toward an evil beyond his worst nightmares. In a hellish landscape conceived by the all-too-clever mind of a twisted schemer, Driscoll must play a killer's deadly game. It's up to him to save his city--or die trying
.

The thing that really brought this book down was the author's writing. I really felt like there was a bunch of jumping around and some things were really confusing. I muddled through the book because the suspense was pretty good and I guess I kept hoping that more and more would come out of the book. All of a sudden, months had gone by and the reader is barely made aware of it. I read a review on Vixen's Daily Reads where she reviewed Mr. O'Callaghan's first book and she said a lot of the same things that I felt. I don't think I will be giving Mr. O'Callaghan another chance. Based on her review of the first book, I don't think there is any chance that the books will be changing much.

Up next is Killing Bridezilla by Laura Levine. I love her books. This series is light, easy to read and mind candy but always enjoyable. I actually started reading it after dinner tonight and have about 50 more pages to go, though I am struggling to keep my eyes open, so I think it will have to wait until tomorrow. I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe 4th of July and that we can all stop for a moment and give thanks for living in such a great, free, country! Happy Reading!

No comments: