Thursday, July 5, 2007

Rage Therapy by Daniel Kalla

On Tuesday, I went to Borders to look at some of the new releases and because I had a $5.00 Borders Bucks and a coupon for 20% of and a gift card. Though I promised myself no more new books until I read at least 5 from the TBR mountain, I couldn't pass up the deal. I ended up buying 2 books and 2 bookmarks for $10.00 on my gift card. Anyways, Rage Therapy was one of the books I picked up and I am glad. This was a great read, with me giving it an A!

Dr. Stanley Kolberg was not just murdered. His lifeless body was battered beyond recgonition, as though his killer had been driven by a ferocious rage.

As far as the Seattle police are concerned, there is no shortage of suspects. Kolberg often treated violent offenders with severe psychiatric disorders. His client list is a virtual lineup of sociopaths, pyschotics, and convicted murderers, any one of whom might have unleashed their homicidal fury on the doctor.

For Dr. Joel Ashman the shocking crime strikes particularly close to home. Not only was Kolberg a fellow pyschiatrist, but he was practically a second father to Joel, who soon finds himself the targe of a faceless stalker.

Who killed Stanley Kolberg and why? The answers lie hidden in a lurid underworld of depraved sex and violence- and in the tortured past of one disturbed young woman.

This story was just great! There were constant twists and turns, and everytime I thought I had it figured out, there was another loop. I really liked Joel, and loved the fact that the story was told through his eyes. There is an explicit explanation of the sex in the story, but I felt it was vital to the story and so it didn't disturb me. I always enjoy stories that tell the viewpoint from a psychiatrist because I seem to get a better understanding of all of the characters in the story. This book just had so much going for it and the suspense was unbelievable. While I was reading there were quite a few times my heart was pounding and that rarely happens. I would highly recommend this book to people who love psychological suspense novels, but those who find explicit sex, such as S and M, detailed, you may want to pass this one over. (If it was of minors, I would hightail out of the book fast, so it isn't.0

Daniel Kalla is a new to me author, but I think he has 2 books before this one and a new one just out in hardcover this month. I hope my library has some more of his books! Not sure what I am going to read next, but for sure something off of the mountain. Happy reading everyone!

No comments: