Monday, September 1, 2008

Bad Desire by Gary Devon

This is another book that I got from the thrift store. It is quite old, written 18 years ago. It was a good read, though, and I give it a B.

Back of the book:
He was obsessed. He knew it. She was so beautiful. So young. But how could Henry Lee Slater hope to get close to ravishing 17 year old Sheila Bonner- a high school girl? So much stood in the way- like her eagle-eyed grandmother and suspicious teenaged boyfriend. There was also Henry's own eminent political position as town mayor to be considered, and his passionately possessive wive. And what about the censorious citizens of a very conservative California community... and all the laws of God and man?

This book reminded me of an old Hitchcock movie. The way that things work out and how everything unfolds seems exactly like Hitchcock. This story had so many twists and turns, it took me awhile to discover what was going to happen. The suspense was done well and the ending was wonderful, though I did see it coming. The downsides of the book was all of the purple prose and all of these long descriptions. The book was 444 pages long, but it probably could have been at least 25% shorter if there wasn't so much description. I mean, honestly, I do not need a whole paragraph on which each star looks like in the sky. It was done over and over again and I will admit that I did skim quite a bit. Once I did skim it, I don't think I missed much.

Well school starts tomorrow, but I don't have a job and I doubt that I will this week. I can't see a lot of teachers missing the first week of school, especially since it is a short one with tomorrow being a half of a day. I am looking forward to a bit more vacation time. I hope everyone else had a great weekend and got lots of reading in! Happy Reading!

No comments: