Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bubbles Unbound by Sarah Strohmeyer

I have had the Bubbles series sitting on my shelves forever, and when I was looking for something to read, I decided to give it a shot. It was a fun read, and I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
Meet Bubbles Yablonsky, beautician-reporter-sleuth and blazing star of Strohmeyer's entertaining, establishment-bashing debut as a mystery writer. Like the mills that gird the book's seen-better-days steel town of Lehigh, Pa., the city is itself a seething cauldron. Battle lines are sharply drawn between the haves and have-nots. Bubbles is hell-bent on getting even with the overlords, especially her former husband, a heel who has gone over to the other side. Opportunity knocks when Bubbles incriminates a wealthy socialite in a brutal murder and then uncovers a murky past, where corpses are littered around the accused's steel-magnate husband. The going is never easy, as Bubbles faces more perils than Pauline: falling off a bridge in the arms of a potential suicide; dodging drive-by gunmen and car bombers; being handcuffed and fitted for cement boots; and always searching for a better way to display her cleavage. Armed with her certificate from Two Guys Community College, abetted by a quirky array of social castoffs and fueled by Doritos, Velveeta and Diet Pepsi, Bubbles overcomes every obstacle on her way to shaking the foundations of the corporate world and, in the process, leaving more than a few wrinkles in her ex's tailored Brooks Brothers suits. Hop in the Camaro and buckle up: Bubbles is behind the wheel, and a wild ride awaits.

I knew before reading this that there was a lot of comparison to Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum and I could definitely see the similarities. However, there were many differences as well that made this story really fun. I liked Bubbles and thought she was a great character, along with her daughter and even her wacko ex-husband. I mean what is not to like about a man who decides to change his name from Dan to Chip? I had a couple of laugh out loud moments and read this book fairly quickly. I also liked the fact that there were actual clues throughout the book that allows the reader to solve the crime and not just find out whodunit at the end. All in all, a fun and pleasant read which I needed today since I had some dental work done today and am in some pain.

Between reading and recovering today, I have been glued to the tv for several different reasons though they all had to do with politics. At lot of my friends don't understand why I get involved and watch the conventions but I like to be informed. That includes getting my news from various sources and doing my own research. I can finally say I have made a decision in this election and am hopeful for the first time in awhile. Then I switch over to local news and see how the city of Detroit is crumbling and falling apart in front of our eyes. The city's wonderful *sarcasm* mayor is in removal hearings with our slightly more wonderful governor being forced out of his job. Forget the 12 felonies he is facing, and his refusal to leave office, and breaking bond and leaving the country, today the news reported that Mr. Kilpatrick feels he is on his way out, so what does he do... give 35% raises to his friends and families in appointed positions! Our state is in such bad shape in the economy that each newscast shows a job opening for people to apply for that is offering $8.00 an hour. Foreclosures are crazy here and the mayor has threatened to layoff 100s of fire and police officers and he gives some people $36,000 a year raises. Ugh!!!!! Drives me crazy. If house prices had not fallen so much my husband and I would be out of here faster than you can blink. I can't find a full time job since teachers who are in their 60s can't afford to retire.

Sorry for going off on such a tangent. I know this blog is called Kristie Loves Books but today the news has been nuts and I had to get some things off of my chest. I have also been taking Vicodin for my pain so I am guessing that a lot of this doesn't even make sense. I will be returning to my regular scheduled programming tomorrow. Happy Reading!

No comments: