Sunday, September 28, 2008

Black Lightning and The Manhattan Hunt Club by John Saul

So I just got back from my mini-vacation to New York City and have two books to blog about. Last week was really busy and it seems that this week is going to be more of the same. Because it is so late and I am exhausted, I am just going to do a combo post on these two books, both by Mr. Saul. Black Lightning receives a B- and The Manhattan Night Club gets an A-.

From Amazon:
For five years Seattle journalist Anne Jeffers has pursued the horrifying story of a sadistic serial killer's bloody reign, capture, trial, and appeal--crusading to keep the wheels of justice churning toward the electric chair. Now the day of execution has come. A convicted killer will meet his end. Anne believes her long nightmare is over. But she's dead wrong. . . .
Within days, a similar murder stuns the city. As the butcher stalks his next victims, creeping ever closer to her, Anne is seized by an icy unease, a haunting sense of connection to these unspeakable crimes. And, relentlessly, she hears the eerie echo of the dead man's last words to her: "Today won't end it. How will you feel, Anne? When I'm dead, and it all starts again, how will you feel?"

The Manhattan Hunt Club
Falsely convicted of a brutal crime, college student Jeff Converse sees his future vanishing before his eyes. But someone has other plans for Jeff, in a far deadlier place than any penitentiary. Jeff finds himself beneath the teeming streets of Manhattan, in a hidden landscape of twisting tunnels and forgotten subterranean chambers. Here, an invisible population of the homeless, the desperate, and the mad has carved out its own shadow society. But they are not alone. For someone has made this forsaken civilization a private killing ground. Now, with no weapon but his wits, and an unimaginable threat lurking around every dark corner, Jeff must somehow move heaven and earth to escape from a living hell. . . .

With Black Lightning, the book started out so strong and I was really enjoying it. However, the ending was just so unbelievable and it really made me mad. I was very disappointed in it and because of it, I felt that the grade dropped from an A to a B-. I just thought it could have been handled in many different ways and was kind of let down. Because of this, I was hesitant to start The Manhattan Hunt Club, but threw it into my suitcase to read on vacation anyways. With this book, the opposite happened and I thought the book started out very slowly but quickly picked up the pace and had my heart pounding. I think I was a bit more freaked out by it because I was in the subway so much this weekend and a lot of the locations discussed in the book I had just visited. I almost gave up on the book, but am so glad I didn't. It was such a good read and I think I am going to recommend it to my mom.

I had a great time in NYC and I truly love the city. I have always dreamed of moving there and am at heart a city girl. I love the hustle and bustle and of course the shopping! Ground Zero was incredibly touching and moving and it really hit me hard. I think seeing this huge empty space where so many people lost their lives up close and personal was just gut wrenching. I still can't wrap my head around it.

Well, I would love to chat some more, but I am really struggling to keep my eyes open. I have some laundry to put away and then need to get to bed. I have an interview tomorrow and a meeting for a new part time job I just accepted, both on opposite sides of town. Fun times! I hope to catch up on everyone's blogs tomorrow and start Slightly Suburban by Wendy Markham (who is really Wendy Corsi Staub, my fave suspense author). I hope everyone has had a great weekend and read some excellent books! Happy Reading!

No comments: