Monday, February 5, 2007

Why?

It is a very sad day today in our neck of the woods. A mother of two young girls apparently stabbed her two daughters to death, along with two dogs and a pet mouse. The woman's sister alerted police after her sister called her and told her she heard voices that were telling her to harm her children and that she has ate people in the past. To me, I just can't understand and comprehend how someone could harm another living person so brutally, let alone their own children. It seems that she likely had and has some serious mental problems, but I just can not believe that it would go so unnoticed that it could lead up to this. It seems that she was also doing drugs at the time, which just makes me so mad that this woman would have her children and would do drugs in their prescence. It just really hits close to home, as the children attend the same elementary school that I did, and I know teachers in the little girls' school. Today, due to the weather and the frigid cold, classes were canceled but I know that grief counselors are planned to be on hand when the children return to school. How can one explain to these girls' classmates, just 5 and 8 years old, that something so horrible has happened. I am 25 and cannot grasp it. Those poor girls were apparently awake when this happened and felt such pain and confusion that the one person who was to protect them forever has harmed them. I would just ask for your thoughts and if you pray, your prayers, for the many people that these little girls lives touched and that they are in a much better place now where no harm can come to them.

Here is a link to the news story if you are interested.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070205/NEWS04/70205025

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Oh, Kristie! That is devestating! Whenever I hear stories like that, it hurts my heart.

I ran into a different type of story today. A toddler and her parents were killed in a car accident, the result of a car hitting another car that flipped over and hit the family's car, killing three of the four passengers. The only survivor is a 3 month old baby. It's a reminder of how easily our lives can be taken away without much warning.

Kristie said...

Life really is precious. It is sad that it takes tragedies like this to wake me up and realize how precious it is. I held my loved ones a little closer last night.