Friday, February 9, 2007

Love You to Death

I picked up Love You to Death from the library. I used to read Red Dress Ink books each month, but I realized I just read them too fast to justify spending $13.95. As I mentioned above, I really enjoy chick lit mysteries, and this one did not disappoint. 3 out of 5 stars.

First a former boyfriend (who dumped Abby in the most humiliating way imaginable) is found murdered the day his engagement is announced. Then two other ex-boyfriends report attempts on their lives right after breaking up with her. Coincidence? Detective Benjamin Orr of the Portland Police Department (and very Probing Questions and Incredibily Delicious Face) doesn't think so either. Neither do Abby's friends, family, coworkers and other exes- who are suddenly shaking in their shoes. Soon everyone is sucking up to her as though the Abby they know and supposedly love to death is capable of poisioning their drinks...

Is someone trying to frame her? Who? And why? She has to find out fast. Because by-the-book Ben is bound to break her heart. Which makes him next on someone's list...

This was a fun read. Nothing too serious to digest, and I really enjoyed Abby and Ben. Melissa Senate has a fun style to her writing and I have enjoyed all of her books. The one bone I have to pick with the book is the way her family treats her. Even though Abby has an alibi, with her family members, when the murder takes place, they act like she may off them next. What is up with that?!? That kind of threw me through a loop, and had me asking HUH? a few times. I am happy that I read, though I doubt it will stick with me for a real long time.

I am not sure what is up next. I just picked a new one up from the library, but may pull something off of the TBR shelves. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Jana said...

Glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did. I, too, found it kind of weird how her family acted but I took it for granted that she didn't have such a great relationship with them anyway. I really did expect more from her sisters, at least, but I suppose that's all a part of the comedic element, huh?

Kristie said...

I guess. It just kind of broke my heart that she loved them so much and they were so quick to judge, especially when they were her alibi! But I am looking forward to the next one.