Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Little Children

I picked up Little Children when I ran up to Target. I saw a book there the last time I was there that I wanted to get (though of course I couldn't remember the title or the author's name... just the location) but couldn't find it. Being the book nut that I am, I couldn't walk out of the story empty handed, so I picked this one up as it sounded like something I would enjoy. I am glad I did, though I did have mixed feelings about this one. 3 out of 5.

Tom Perrotta's thirty-ish parents of young children are a varied and surprising bunch. There's Todd, the handsome stay-at-home dad dubbed the "Prom King" by the moms at the playground, and his wife Kathy, a documentary film-maker envious of the connection Todd has forged with their toddler son. And there's Sarah, a lapsed feminist surprised to find she's become a typical wife in a traditional marriage, and her husband Richard, who is more and more involved with an Internet fantasy than with his own wife and child. And then there's Mary Ann, who has life all figured out, down to a scheduled roll in the hay with her husband every Tuesday at 9PM.

They all raise their kids in the kind of quiet suburb where nothing ever seems to happen- until one eventful summer, when a convicted child molester moves back to town, and two parents begin an affair that goes further than either of them could ever have imagined.

This book was a bit slow to get involved with, but I eventually became hooked. I should be studying right now for a test, but I really had to finish it. I really enjoy these stories that take place in the suburbs... not sure why, but I really do. Probably part of the reason why I love Desperate Housewives (though I really do not think that the show is a good reflection of life in the suburbs). The love interest was well done, though I was surprised at some of my feelings for those that were having the affair. I was afraid that the child molester aspect might make me sick, but it really wasn't a detailed description or anything like that. It was very tactfully written.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the book was turned into a movie this past fall. Baring the same title, it stars Kate Winslet as Sarah, and I believe she is nominated for an Oscar in it. It is also up for best screenplay as well. Normally I hate seeing movies where I have read the book, though I am definitely interested in this one. I checked listings and it isn't playing anywhere near me and does not come out on DVD until the end of April, but I am hoping that it may show up at one of the discount movie theatres or one of the mainstream ones as the Oscars draw closer. Mr. Peccotta is also the author of the book Election, which the same movie starring Matthew Broderick and Resse Witherspoon star in. I adored that movie, so I am anxious to see this one. I had never even heard of the book or the movie and wasn't informed about the Oscar nominations until I heard one of the actors on the View discussing the movie. On the cover of the book it said that it was now a major motion picture, but I guess I didn't pay close attention.

In other news, I began getting a cold last week and thought I had it licked. Now my throat is killing me, I can't breathe through my nose, and I am losing my voice. School was finally back in session today and after I subbed for a kindergarten class. I had to do a lot of talking and well, yelling, and I think it was a bad mistake. I hope I am better tomorrow morning as I have class and I want to sub again, but I guess it won't kill me if I have to spend the day reading in bed, right? Up next is Melissa Senate's Love You to Death which I got from the library. Jana gave it raving reviews, and I like Chick Lit once in awhile, especially when it is combined with mystery. I always try to read library books first... though I picked up 5 new books today from the thrift store. (I know I am not supposed to be buying new books, but I got them for $1.00!) And I am also going to a library's annual used book sale on Saturday, but I am just planning on getting children's books for when I have my own class.

Well enough rambling and delaying the studying fact. Stay warm and happy reading!

2 comments:

JWY said...

I also read and liked this book. I have to say, though, I found Richard's character somewhat unbelievable (dirty panties? come on!) which made it difficult to really feel anything towards him. The other characters were very life-like and I found myself rooting for them all. I wanted to see this movie, but waited to read the book and then it was too late. Oh well...maybe on DVD.

Kristie said...

His was somewhat unbelieveable. I found it absolutely disgusting... but who knows with some of those weirdos in the world.

The DVD will be released in April I believe. I will be curious to see if it wins any Oscars.