Tuesday, February 20, 2007

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

I picked up How Nancy Drew Saved My Life from the library after seeing it in the back of the last Melissa Senate book I read. Being a huge fan of Nancy Drew and kind of in the mood for another chick lit book, I decided to get it. Unfortunely, it was not that interesting and it was a DNF.

Broken, smashed, and stomped in the mud. That is how Charlotte Bell's heart ended up the last time she let her empotions heat up on a nanny assignment. So taking a new position in frigid Iceland working for Ambassador Edgar Rawlings, might just what Charlotte needs in order to heal up- and chill out. This time, she's determined to be intrepid and courageous. She's even read all fifty-six original Nancy Drew books in preparation. Unfortunately, she's neglecated to find out anything about Iceland or to look in the background of her oddly compelling employer. When Charlotte stumbles onto the trail of a mystery that only she can solve, she'll need every shred of Nancy's wisdom to keep her life- and her heart- safe!

Well, I read half of the book, and the mystery still was not introduced. So that kind of turned me off. Also, the writing and the dialogue just wasn't for me. The child in the story was supposed to be six years old, though her vocabulary and her mannerisms had her acting more mature than many of my professors. I can't really pinpoint what really turned me off about it, but after reading half of the book and having such limited amount of time for me to read right now, I decided to just put it aside. I am now instilling a 70 page rule where if the book is not grabbing me, I will just put it down. I have a stack of library books to read as well as all of the new books I have got lately (even though I am not buying anymore!!! In fact for Lent I am giving up buying books and pop) including today, as well as the monsterous TBR shelves that need to be tackled. So thats about it from me! Hopefully, I will have more frequent posts as well as books that are getting great reviews from me! Happy reading!

2 comments:

Jana said...

Yay! You saved me the hassell of trying to read this one. ;-) I'd been looking at it for a while because a couple of friends of mine were reading it but I kept hem-hawing around. Now I'm glad I didn't waste the money on it!

I do hate it, though, when children are written more mature than they would be in real life. Totally pulls me out of the story. I mean, I realize there are children wise beyond their years but most aren't.

And...giving up buying books for Lent? No new books for 40 days??? thud

hehehe

Kristie said...

Well, I do have over 300 books sitting on the bookshelf waiting to be read. I swear, I buy new books and then they go on the shelves and don't get read. Between library books and reading for school, I just don't have time.

I did end the no drinking pop today though. The withdraws from the caffeine were killing me... but I will refrain from the books! When I was at the grocery store earlier today I had to prevent myself from going down the book aisle!