Thursday, December 2, 2010

103. Retail Hell: How I Sold My Soul to the Store Confessions of a Tortured Sales Associate by Freeman Hall

I read about this book somewhere, though of course I can't remember now. It was a quick, funny read, and whille I wasn't laughing out loud much there were plenty of times I smiled. I give Retail Hell a B+.

From Amazon:
I think you left these behind,? I said, handing them to her. This happens all the time when women try to return bags they?ve used. Tampons, lipstick, coins, Tic Tacs, and condoms are the top treasures found.
?Greasy? let out a sigh, as if I were the problem. ?I was just trying my things in it. I really don?t see what the problem is here. It?s none of your business what I keep in my handbag.?
It is when my commission is at stake! I?m not your Designer Handbag Rental Service! My name is not BagBorrowOrSteal.com!
Enter Freeman Hall, an aspiring screenwriter who sets out to realize his Hollywood dream, but instead plunges into the seventh circle of Retail Hell when the rent comes due, selling animal-hide Hobos and overpriced clutches to Lookie-Loos and Picky Bitches?but always with a sunshiny smile.
Freeman toils in the handbag (that?s handbag, NOT purse) department of the Big Fancy department store, where he sees, hears, smells (and unfortunately, feels) it all! Here, he provides a true?and truly shocking?account of life from the other side of the handbag display. From early-morning RA-RA RALLIES to the craziest crazy-lady customers, Freeman?s horrific and hilarious workday tales redefine Juicy Couture.
As Freeman begins to plots his escape, he realizes that despite the Big Fancy?s lax return policy, for him, there really may be no returns . . . no exchanges . . . no way out
.

I couldn't believe some of the things people do and get away with. It was absolutely crazy. I always enjoy getting the inside view of someone's life and Retail Hell allowed me to do just that. Freeman is easy to sympathize with when you read about the way he was treated, and while I am always polite when I am at the store, (unless the associate is a total idiot... then I may get snippy) I think this book may have me being just a bit nicer. If you ever worked retail or are just looking for an easy read to pass a few hours, pick this up.

1 comment:

stacybuckeye said...

Having worked 5 years in Barnes & Noble stores I think this looks like a great way to relive it all!