Friday, December 31, 2010

110. A Most Uncommon Degree of Popularity by Kathleen Gilles Seidel

I enjoyed Ms. Seidel's previous book that I read, so I decided to give this one a try. It was a good read, though I did have some eye rolling moments. I give it a B.

From Amazon:
Your own daughter... one of the popular girls?
On the first day of middle school, Lydia Meadows, a former lawyer turned full time mother, is startled to discover that her daughter Erin is one of the popular girls, a tight foursome whose mothers are also great friends. Lydia has always thought of popular girls as ambitious little manipulators who enjoy being cruel. But Erin is kind and well-adjusted. Maybe this popularity thing won't be so bad after all.
Then a new student ruthlessly targets Erin to boost her own popularity, and Lydia helplessly wonders what to do when her daughter's phone stops ringing. And the uneasiness among the girls begins to affect the friendship of the mothers-even though they are all grown women who should know better. Has their driven energy, once directed toward their careers, turned into an obsession with the social lives of their daughters?

In one word, yes. These mothers, especially Lydia, are way too involved in their daughters' lives, even to the point of letting it come in between other relationships. Now I am not a mother, so maybe I don't know, but these were the exact definition of what "helicopter moms" are. Besides this, I enjoyed the book. I actually finished this book last week, though I just got to posting this review and want to keep my ytd totals correct.

No comments: