Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Third Degree by Greg Iles

I have been a fan of Greg Iles since I first read him late last year. When I went to the library to pick up another book on hold, I saw this one and remembered I had started to listen to this on audio last year but for some reason didn't finish it. I grabbed it and decided to read it after finishing Plum Spooky. I raced through it and couldn't put it down. I give Third Degree an A-.

From Amazon:
Sometimes the gravest dangers -- and the darkest souls -- live right beside us....
In the span of twenty-four hours, every-thing Laurel Shields believes about her life and her marriage to a prominent doctor will be shattered -- if she survives a terrifying ordeal. The day begins with the jarring discovery that, soon after ending an affair, Laurel is pregnant. But when she returns home to find her husband ashen, unkempt, and on the brink of violence, a nightmare quickly unfolds. In the heart of an idyllic Mississippi town, behind the walls of her perfect house, Laurel finds herself locked in a volatile standoff with a husband she barely recognizes. Confronted with evidence of her betrayal, she must tread a deadly path between truth and deception while a ring of armed police prepares a dangerous rescue. But Laurel's greatest fear -- and her only hope -- lies with her former lover, a brave man whom fate has granted the power to save both Laurel and her children -- if she can protect his identity long enough....


Third Degree takes place in the span of one day and the thrills never stop. Right from the opening chapter when Laurel discovers that she is pregnant the reader is hooked and can't stop turning the pages. Just when you think you have something figured out, Mr. Iles takes you on a wild turn and you are thrown through another loop. Even when I thought the book was over and the final pages were wrapping things up, another surprise was thrown my way. I will definitely be checking out more of Mr. Iles' books and if you haven't read one of them yet, run to your nearest bookstore or library and pick one of them up.

I am going to have cut this short. I just heard some terrible news about a horrible accident that killed four local teens. Apparently, a woman in her 40s decided that her right to drink and drive was more important than that of everyone else's right and slammed into a stopped car carrying 4 teenagers going to the mall. She killed all four of them and she walked away without a scratch, except for a hangover from hell since she was more than three times over the legal limit. I am truly sickened by this and emotional, so I am going to say Happy Reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan too, but haven't read one of his books in a couple of years. Too bad because this author rocks!

Kristie said...

I would think that you would really enjoy it, since a lot of the books take place in your neck of the woods!