Sunday, March 29, 2009

Paying the Piper by Simon Wood

Paying the Piper is a book I have had on my bookshelves for far too long and last time I was looking for something to read, I decided to rectify that. I was hoping to fit a couple of books in this weekend, but alas, it was not meant to be. Paying the Piper went a bit slow for me and I had a hard time picking it up when I had time to read. I rate it a B-.

Back cover:
He was known as the Piper- a coldhearted kidnapper who terrified the city. Crime reporter Scott Fleetwood built his career on the Piper. The kidnapper even taunted the FBI through Scott's column. But Scott had been duped. The person he'd been speaking to wasn't really the Piper. By the time the FBI exposed the hoaxer, time ran out... and the real Piper killed the child. Then he vanished. But now he's back, with very specific targets in mind- Scott's children.

Part of this book was a bit too unbelievable for me. Scott's pure involvement throughout the whole case is so far-fetched, though I do understand that this is a work of fiction, but at times it was too much. Other times I felt like the action was a bit predictible and I thought I had it all figured out a couple of times. There were a few red herrings thrown in that had me doubting myself, but it turns out in the end that I was correct. I also felt like a few things were not fully fleshed out and I was left scratching my head. Overall, it was a good read but I won't be running out looking for the next book by Mr. Wood.

Up next is Sleepwalking in Daylight by Elizabeth Flock. I love her books and picked this one up on Friday. I want to try and get this one in before the end of the month and I know there is a long wait list for this, so I always like to get to popular books fast. I had a bunch of plans to get all of my running around done on Friday so I could have the weekend free to myself and reading, but my car had other plans. As I was making my first stop, my car decided to not start. I drive a new car with less than 10,000 miles on it, so I was a bit upset. Turns out it was something with the anti-theft system not recgonizing my key, but by the time I got my car back it already the evening so errands were run yesterday. It is back to the grind of work tomorrow though only two more weeks until Spring Break! I have been running a fever for the past two days, so hopefully it isn't anything serious. I also have the latest Spellman book by Lisa Lutz waiting for me at the library and hopefully I will be able to get it tomorrow. Plus April is right around the corner and that means the start of the Lisa Jackson read-a-thon, so I anticipate a lot of great reading! Well I am off... I hope to get a few chapters of Elizabeth Flock's latest in before bedtime! Happy Reading!

No comments: