Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mad River Road by Joy Fielding

I read a book by Ms. Fielding late last year that I absolutely loved and much to my pleasant surprise, I found I had several of her backlist on my TBR shelves. I decided to read Mad River Road after looking at my shelves for about 15 minutes hoping that it was as good as Whispers and Lies. It wasn't, but that's not to say that it wasn't a good suspense book. I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
She found the perfect lover. . . . Jamie Kellogg's life is at a crossroads. Stuck in a dead-end job, the divorced twenty-nine-year-old has been ruled by the voices of her judgmental mother and her perfectionist sister long enough. Now she's hearing only the sexy whispers of the thrillingly handsome stranger in her bed, the man she met in a Florida bar. His name is Brad Fisher, and he's telling her everything she's been dying to hear: She's gorgeous. She's smart. She's adventurous. Quitting her job and joining Brad on a spontaneous road trip, Jamie's ready for the ride of her life. But this trip has one destination: a run-down Ohio house on Mad River Road, where vengeance will come home at last -- and where someone will pay for the secrets and lies of the past. . . .

First of all, I have to say that Jamie may be one of the stupidest women I have read about. I can see the thrill and excitement of taking off on a fun adventure with someone, but a guy that you just met 12 hours earlier? That is just plain idiotic. Who does that?!? But I am sure that there are people out there who choose to be that reckless, and it did set up an interesting and scary premise for Mad River Road. Ms. Fielding does a fantastic job of letting the suspense build and soon you find yourself turning the pages and telling yourself one more, one more... This story is told through three different women's point of view and I really enjoyed seeing through the eyes of these very different, however somewhat alike, women. The only downside of the book was that the ending felt like it was a bit rushed. The book was pretty long (484 pages) and I felt like the climax and conclusion was stuffed in only about 30 pages. It didn't bother me enough though, to mark the book down that much and I will definitely be checking out more of Ms. Fielding's books.

Up next is Safer by Sean Doolittle. I read about this book in Romantic Times and have now seen it on a couple of blogs. It sounds very interesting, though I only snuck in about 10 pages while at work today. Once I get home from work, I hope to cuddle up and watch some of the Red Wing game while diving straight in. I hope all of you are pleasantly entertained by whatever you are reading and Happy Reading!

No comments: