Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Pyschopath by Keith Ablow

I always enjoy Mr. Ablow's books, especially because they are written from a psychitrist's point of view. While I tried getting into Sinners and Saints and it just didn't grab me at the time, I picked up Pyschopath from the TBR shelves. It was a good read, and I give it a B.

From Amazon:
Former psychiatrist, Frank Clevenger, is tapped by the FBI to catch an elusive murderer known as the "Highway Killer", who has left twelve bodies strewn across twelve states. Clevenger reluctantly accepts the case, but what he and authorities cannot know is that the Highway Killer isn't just a serial killer- who is also a psychiatrist, whose brillance is as a gifted doctor is matched only by his precision as a killer. When he writes to a national newspaper challenging Clevenger to cure him through an exchange of open letters, a gripping public therapy unfolds. But as the Highway Killer confronts the demons that inhabit his own tortured mind, his brutality climbs to new heights. Will Clevenger be able to exorcise those demons before they spin completely out of control?

Pyschopath started off really strong, but I felt like it petered out towards the end. The reader starts out knowing who the Highway Killer is, but that doesn't take away from any of the suspense of the book. There are a lot of subplots going on in the story, but it just adds to the mystery and thrills building. I was upset to find that I have read yet another book out of order in a series, but I have no one to blame myself for that. I need to start researching that better before I read a book to make sure. However, towards the end of the book it seemed like the author said "Oops, we need to wrap this up... word count is getting high". Things were just wrapped up a bit to neatly and but without some things completely fleshed out. I am sure part of that is because it is a series, but I though Mr. Ablow could have done a better job. I will, however, be reading more in this series.

The next book is one I started today at lunch. I am only about 40 pages in, but it promises to be good. It is called The Other Twin and is by Hunter Morgan. The premise is intriguing... a serial killer who abducted one twin and murdered them, but left the other twin behind. Now someone is coming back and abducting the daughters of the twins left behind. I hope to get some good reading in tonight as my tutoring for tonight was cancelled. Happy Reading everyone !

No comments: