Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Devil's Closet by Stacy Dittrich

Got this one in just before the deadline for the end of 2008... and I wasn't sure if it was going to happen. I hoped that I would end the year with a bang and a wonderful book, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I can only give this book a C+.

Back cover:
Detective CeeCee Gallagher is no stranger to high-pressure cases. But this one could easily cost her career... and her life. A macabre serial killer is on the loose, leaving the bodies of his young victims made up to resemble dolls. With only a Bible passage sent by the killer to guide her, CeeCee will have to sacrafice everything to find him and end his reign of terror before another child is murdered.

There were a couple of things that went wrong with this book. First of all, it was only 292 pages long and more than half of the story was about CeeCee and her affair. I couldn't stand her and her whining all of the time. She was caught between her husband and the man she had an almost affair with a year ago. At the end of the book the author explains that she added this in because the topic, children being killed, was so tough to read that she had to break it up. This book cannot be categorized as a thriller in my mind because most of it was romance. The timeline was very difficult to follow and very few clues were given to the reader to try and solve it. I also couldn't stand CeeCee's calaliver attitude towards marriage and it wasn't just hers either. I think there were three divorces in 292 pages. I don't know... the book just really annoyed me. I read some other reviews on Amazon and they absolutely loved it but it just didn't work for me.

Up next is a library book, one for Library Book challenge. It is called Innocence by Karen Novak, a new to me author. I hope it is good. I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe New Years!! Happy Reading!

No comments: