Monday, December 8, 2008

Valentine by Tom Savage

This is an older book that I must have picked up from the used book store or a library used book sale. The back cover is all bent and there are some loose pages. I decided to pick it up and give it a try and it was all right. I give it a B.

Back book cover:
Jillian Talbot has it all: a beautiful home in New York's Greenwich Village, a string of bestselling suspense novels, a handsome and adoring lover.
She has something else too. A silent stalker. A secret admirer who sends her pink, heart-shaped messages- with an unmistakable warning in blood-red letters.
A killer has invaded her privileged sanctuary. He will imprison her in a nightmare ore real than the fiction she creates. And, as the price mounts ever higher for a crime Jill once committed but only her nemesis can remember, he will meet her at last at the hour of his triumph. Her judgement day.

This book was just o.k. At times it was a bit predictible, but the ending was a bit surprising. I think part of it was just the main character, Jill, was a bit unlikeable and kind of full of herself. She was constantly rolling her eyes and getting frustrated (before someone was stalking her) at fans and their interest in her and her writing. That just drives me crazy. If you don't want fans, then don't pick a job in the public eye. It is the same with celebrities. Besides that, Jill receives one card in the mail and starts freaking out right away. It was just a little bit too much to swallow. I did like the opportunity the reader has to get inside the head of the killer and to learn how and why he was doing the things he was doing. That always adds to the suspense and understanding of everything. I also was suprised that the author was a man... the voice of the book seemed definitely female to me.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I may ask my hubby to go select a few books for me to choose from. Even though I have over 600 books to read, every time I go to look I swear I can't decide on anything. It has been so cold here that all I feel like doing is laying on the couch wrapped up warm reading something. I am so ready for warmer temps already and it isn't even officially winter yet! Ugh! Happy Reading!

No comments: