Monday, December 15, 2008

Dead Game by James Neal Harvey

This is an older book that has been on my shelves for awhile. Last time I was looking for a book I pulled this one off along with another book. This was a good book, and I enjoyed it. I give it a B.

From Amazon:
A murderer who's been discharged from a hospital for the criminally insane rapes and kills a young woman in her Manhattan apartment, leaving behind clues that point to NYPD detective Ben Tolliver as the killer. To Ben's horror, he realizes that he knows the victim, and thinks he may know the identity of the murderer as well. What he does not realize is that he's the target of a twisted genius.

This book was a good example of what a psychological suspense novel should be. The reader knows who the killer is in the first pages, though it doesn't take away from the suspense. The killer is truly a psychopath who has a lot of problems yet isn't stupid. The way he is able to trick and decieve so many different people is frightening in it's own right as you wonder how many people can "trick" the system. The only problem I had with the book was the ending was a bit fast and the author could have given the reader a bit more. This was part of a series, but I definetly did not feel like I missed out on anything. If you ever come across this author at a used book sale or the library and enjoy a good psychological suspense, I would urge you to pick it up.

I am not sure what I am going to read next, but I do know that I have a busy couple of weeks coming up. Work is going to be crazy this week and I still have Christmas shopping left to do. I was so ahead of the game at Thanksgiving and I stopped, so now I will be scrambling. I hope everyone else is getting ready to relax and enjoy the holidays and not running around like me! Take a minute to enjoy a nice warm drink (this morning it was 50, when I left for lunch it was 18!) and a great book! Happy Reading!

No comments: