Saturday, November 29, 2008

Blood Lies by Daniel Kalla

I read one of Mr. Kalla's previous novels, Rage Therapy, quite awhile ago and absolutely loved it. I have been meaning to read one of his other books for awhile and finally got Blood Lies from the library. It was a good book and I give it a B+.

From Amazon:
Ben Dafoe, a young emergency-room doctor and part-time crime-scene consultant for the Seattle Police Department, is haunted by addiction. Two years earlier, a cocaine and crystal-meth habit claimed the life of his identical twin, Aaron. Now Ben walks onto the scene of a savage stabbing to find that the victim is his former fiancĂ©e, Emily Kenmore—another loved one who fell prey to drugs. Part of the carnage in Emily’s bedroom is a single streak of blood caked on the wall.

When the DNA from that sample matches Ben’s, he becomes the prime suspect.

Convinced his identical twin is still alive and somehow involved in Emily’s death, Ben goes on the run, aiming to find Aaron. Working under an assumed identity at an inner-city clinic, Ben desperately searches for Aaron while playing cat-and-mouse with the authorities.

But someone is determined to thwart his hunt at any cost. In the story’s final twist, the truth hits closer to home and more lethally than Ben ever imagined.


At times, the book was a bit predicitible and it tood me awhile to get into it. However, looking back I realized I wasn't giving myself much time to read and get a chance to get involved with the book. I feel like this past two weeks I have had ADD or something and cannot focus on much for too long and it is driving me up a wall. The author does a great job of throwing in some red herrings and tricking the reader into who they believe is responsible for the killings. While this book is classified as a medical mystery, I am hard pressed to call it so. While there are some medical aspects, they are quite limited. I will say that I really liked Rage Therapy much more though and if you are interested in trying out this author I would pick that one up first.

Up next is Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler. I have been a fan of her tv show on E! and her comedy for awhile, so when I heard about this book I placed it on hold. It is been forever since I did and it finally came through. It is a light, funny read so far and I am enjoying it. I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving and Happy Reading!

No comments: