Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Slightly Married by Wendy Markham

As I mentioned in the previous post, I absolutely adore all of Ms. Markham's work, especially her suspense novels. I read the first book in this series, Slightly Single, and it had me laughing the entire time. I have continued to read the series, though I have stopped buying them because I just read them so fast. I do buy her suspense novels, but they aren't at trade prices. Anyways, this was a great addition in the series and it was a great way to pass an afternoon. This was a fun A-.

All Tracey wants is to get hitched without a hitch- but as the calendar marches towards her late-October wedding date, suddenly she and her fiance can't agree on anything. From where to get married (New York City or Buffalo?) to how many attendants they're going to have (she's already asked eight; he was just thinking of a best man). Meanwhile, Tracey's friends are caught up in their own drama. There's newlywed Raphael, who's just had his gay wedding; newly pregnant Kate, who is trying to adjust to impending motherhood; and Buckley, who is acting inexplicably strange. When Buckley unexpectedly breaks off his own engagement, all but leaving his fiancee at the altar, Tracey is stunned to learn that he may be in love with her.

With plenty of snafus to keep them distracted, is being Slightly Married to road to happily ever after, after all?

This book was just so well written. All of the ups and downs that Tracey feels and experiences while planning her wedding were so true to life and I found myself nodding my head along in a lot of places. Throughout the story, we see that Tracey really does love Jack, but there are doubts that I believe every bride-to-be faces and deals with. It is handled well and there are, of course, plently of laughs throughout. There was a little bit of foreshadowing as to what we may see in the next book. I know from her website, that there is at least one more Tracey book to be published, probably next year. I will continue to read it and recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and entertaining read. If you are not familiar with the series, I do suggest you start with the first book so you can see how Tracey evolves. If you are getting married, I also think it is a must read.

Up next is Electric Blue, which is the second in a series by Nancy Bush. The first book was titled Candy Apple Red and was a lot of fun for cozy mystery. Ms. Bush is the sister of Lisa Jackson who writes great suspense books. Well everyone stay cool (it is 96 degrees here today... without the humidity!) and Happy Reading!

No comments: