Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot

I just recently discovered Meg Cabot in the past couple of years with her Heather Mills series and some other stand alone books that I cannot recall. I read the first book in this series last year and enjoyed it a lot so it was a no brainer that I would place this one on hold. I read it in a few hours and it was a fun read that had me smiling. I rate it a B+.

Lizzie Nichols is back, pounding the New York City pavement and looking for a job, a place to live, and her proper place in the universe (not necessarily in that order).

When "Summer Fling" Luke uses the L word (Living Together) Lizzie is only too happy to give up her plan of being postgrad roomies with her best friend, Shari, in a one-room walk-up in exchange for cohabitation with the love of her life in his mother's Fifth Avenue peid-a-terre, complete with doorman and resident Renoir.

But Lizzie is not as likely in her employment search. As Shari finds the perfect job, Lizzie struggles through one humilating interview after another, being judged overqualified for the jobs in her chose field- vintage-gown rehab- and underqualified for everything else. It's Shari's boyfriend Chaz to the rescue when he recommends Lizzie for a receptionist gig at his father's posh law firm. The nonpaying gig at a local wedding-gown shop Lizzie manages to land all on her own.

But Lizzie's notoriously big mouth begins to get her into trouble at work and at home almost at once- first at the law firm and then with making the mistake of mentioning the M word (marriage) to commitment phobic Luke. Soon Lizzie may find herself right back from where she started.

This was a quick fun read where I enjoyed the characters and see them grow. The ending is a bit of a cliff-hanger, so right when I finished I searched to make sure there was another one following soon. I am thinking next year it will be published. This book is classic Meg Cabot and tons of fun and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a light read.

Up next is another series I love by Wendy Markham. She also writes under Wendy Corsi Staub, who's suspense novels I love. She is probably one of my favorite authors. This book is one of her chicklit books in the Slightly series and I can't wait to begin! Happy reading!

No comments: