Monday, June 18, 2007

Unspeakable by Sandra Brown

I may be getting my reading mojo back. I picked up this book yesterday only about 100 pages in and quickly read 300 pages and then finished it up today. I always enjoy Sandra Brown's novels, and this one was no different. While not my favorite of hers, it was still a good read once I got into it. I give it a solid B+.

Carl Helbold is a cold-blooded psychopath who has just escaped the penitentiary where he was serving a life sentence. Bent on revenge, he's going back to where it began- Blewer County, Texas.

Born deaf, lately widowed, Anna Corbett fights to keep the ranch that is her son's birthright, unaware that she is at the center of Herbold's horrific scheme- and that her self-impose isolation is about to explode...

Drifter Jack Sawyer arrives at Anna's ranch asking for work, hoping to protect the innocent woman and her son from Herbold's rage. But Sawyer can't outrun the secrets that stalk him- or the day of reckoning awaiting them all...

This book had all of the things I was looking for... a good mystery, or suspense, a nice romance and all that comes along with a small town. The love story was really well devolped and you got to see them falling in love instead of when 10 pages to the end, they fall madly in love with each other. I would love a sequel to see how life is now in Blewer County. A child did play a major part in the book, but he was just adorable and well written.

The only thing that prevented me from giving it an A is the fact that sometimes the story goes back into the past without any explaniation. I had to read back and see if I missed anything. Now this could be due to some of my problems of late, but I really think it was the style.

Up next is a library book, Helpless by Barbara Gowdy. Saw a review of it somewhere and placed it on hold. Hope it is worth it!

Happy reading and stay cool (if it is as hot and humid it is here with a broken air conditioner... that we just found about a couple of hours ago!!!).

No comments: