Saturday, December 12, 2009

See Jane Run by Joy Fielding

I've been a fan of Ms. Fielding for awhile now and picked up See Jane Run from a library book sale awhile back. While trying to decide what to read next, this one caught my eye and I was off and reading. It was a good book and kept my heart racing at times. I give it a B.

Back cover:
Jane Whitaker has awakened to a nightmare. She doesn't know her name, her age... or even what she looks like. Frightened and confused, she wanders the streets of Boston wearing a blood-soaked blue dress- and carrying $10,000 in her pocket. Her life has become a vacaum- her past vanished... or stolen. And all that remains is a handsome, unsettling stranger who claims to be her husband, whispered rumors about a dead child whom she cannot recall... and a terrifying premonition that something truly horrible is about to occur.

See Jane Run spooked me a few different levels. Imagining myself waking up one day having no idea who I am, where I'm from and lost on the streets is quite frightening and Ms. Fielding does a fantastic job illustrating that. Once Jane returns home, bits and pieces of her past start returning and the fear doesn't let up. It's hard for Jane to know who to trust and it's hard for the reader to know who to trust as well. I couldn't imagine it. I liked Jane's character and was rooting for her the entire time. I thought Ms. Fielding did an excellent job of highlighting her fear and the real feelings that one must go through while suffering from amnesia. Though the book was written in 1990, it isn't too difficult to get into the story and there were only a few times when I had to remind myself, "No, she can't just go and look that number or address up on the internet." I think that is a sign of a good author, one who can write a book that is timeless for the ages. I know I'm always in for a good read when I pick up one Joy Fielding's books.

I am not sure what I am going to read next. I am out of library books and didn't have a chance to run up there today. Between cleaning, including getting rid of so many clothes and old junk (why did I think it was necessary to keep shoes from the 90's?), grocery shopping, Christmas shopping and laundry I have been busy but now plan on kicking back tonight with a good book and perhaps some TIVOed shows and the Wings game. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends and Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Staci said...

Saving shoes from the 90's cracks me up....why do we save some of the things we do??? I have one Joy Fielding book and I haven't read it yet. What am I waiting for???? Hope the Wings win!! How are you liking this weather???? Me?? Hate it!

Literary Feline said...

This sounds good! I hope to read a book by Joy Fielding this next year. I've got a couple on my TBR shelf.

Enjoy your quiet evening, Kristie!

Kristie said...

Great Wings game last night Staci! Bertuzzi is on a roll! I was at Fridays' game and it was another good... a great come from behind win. I hope this is a turn in the right direction. And I can't stand this weather! Florida looks better and better each year!

Wendy... I did enjoy it, although I started wrapping presents saying I was only going to wrap for an hour and ended up wrapping them all in 3 hours! Still have more shopping to do too.