Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Burn by John Lutz

I have liked John Lutz's books for quite awhile and when I was browsing at the library I found a whole slew of books by him that was part of an old series. I had to try one and decided to pick it up. While it was a quick read, I was a bit disappointed with it and ended up skimming the end of it. I give it a B-.

Inside cover:
Disabled Florida P.I. Fred Carver takes on his new client, Joel Brandt, who reminds him of the handsome and deceptively charming mass murderer Ted Bundy- and that's the least disquieting aspect of the case. Brandt has been charged with stalking Marla Cloy, a woman he claims he's never met, and he hires Carver to find out why she's falsley accusing him. At his wit's end, Brandt is convinced she's out to get him so she can kill him, claiming self-defense. But why?
When Carver can find no connection between the two and no reason for either's vengeance, he begins to wonder who is stalking whom and finds himself caught in the middle of a deadly game of cat and mouse. A personal crisis takes Carver and the reader by surprise rounts out this tense and complicated tale.

This is an older book, written in the early 90s and is an old fashioned detective story. The mystery is solved by detective work, before the internet, where clues can be found by visiting the neighborhood bar or corner store. Carver is a likeable character one who I found charming and kind. The personal story was a little confusing and not really worth it and I rather have had it left out. Mr. Lutz does a great job of having me go back and forth trying to decide who was really at fault, Brandt or Marla. While it was a quick and easy read, I probably won't keep reading any out of the series even though the library has most of them. I much rather stick to Mr. Lutz's newer thriller books that he seems to come out with once a year.

Up next is probably going to be another library book. I went to the library today to pick up one book and ended up finding Flesh Wounds, a new book and new to me author that I think I may grab that one to read first. I doubt I will get it finished by the end of the year, but I am going to try. I hope everyone has had a great weekend and New Year's week and Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I haven't had a chance to read anything by John Lutz yet, but he's on my "must try" list. It's too bad this one wasn't better. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Kristie. Happy New Year!

Kristie said...

Happy New Year Wendy!